Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski EL Range water resistance ?

Swarovski EL Range water resistance ?

Hi all. Does anyone have the technical specification with regards to the Swarovski EL Range binos? I know the Zeiss RF's are resistant to 4m. Can't see anything in the manual or technical specs on the Swarovski site.....thanks

Andrew

Definitive response from Jo @ Swaro:

Good Morning

The EL RANGE 10X42 is water resistant up to 4m/13ft.

Regards

Jo

SWAROVSKI OPTIK VERTRIEBS GMBH
    Representation: Swarovski U.K. LTD.
    Joanne Ludlow
    Credit Control

Swarovski Optik UK
    Unit 11 (Tarbot House)
    Perrywood Business Park,
    Honeycrock Lane
    Salfords, Surrey.
    RH1 5JQ
    UK
    Tel. +44/1737/856812
    Fax +44/1737/856885

Cheers
    iain
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 18-07-2013 at 09:45.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewW View Post
    Hi all. Does anyone have the technical specification with regards to the Swarovski EL Range binos? I know the Zeiss RF's are resistant to 4m. Can't see anything in the manual or technical specs on the Swarovski site.....thanks
    Just curious, are you taking them diving?
    I can't think of anywhere I stalk that I could put my EL RF's into anything deeper than 6" and that would be crossing a ditch on my belly when approaching a deer to shoot it.

​TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I don't think it really matters how deep they go - they would just fix em FOC

That's a stupid statement to make (and share). Can't believe you didn't challenge it.

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Andrew

Definitive response from Jo @ Swaro:

Good Morning

The EL RANGE 10X42 is water resistant up to 4m/13ft.

Regards

Jo

SWAROVSKI OPTIK VERTRIEBS GMBH
    Representation: Swarovski U.K. LTD.
    Joanne Ludlow
    Credit Control

Swarovski Optik UK
    Unit 11 (Tarbot House)
    Perrywood Business Park,
    Honeycrock Lane
    Salfords, Surrey.
    RH1 5JQ
    UK
    Tel. +44/1737/856812
    Fax +44/1737/856885

Cheers
    iain

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    That's a stupid statement to make (and share). Can't believe you didn't challenge it.
    Ok, care to explain?
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

I'm just reading what they said. So it's ok if they leak at 1m depth? Should say they're water proof to at least 4m. I don't think their statement would help if lawyers got involved in a challenge.

Ok, care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    I'm just reading what they said. So it's ok if they leak at 1m depth? Should say they're water proof to at least 4m. I don't think their statement would help if lawyers got involved in a challenge.
    Eh?

If you're going to be pedantic, you could argue that "up to 4m" means "to 3.99999999999 recurring m" as they don't state "up to and including 4m".

If you're going to be really pedantic, you could argue that 4m is actually 13.1233596ft not 13ft.

They are stating that they are water resistant TO 4m for one really simple reason. AT LEAST 4m implies "and any depth thereafter", and no-one will offer that under warranty. A warranty is to cover both the customer and the vendor, so the vendor will generally put a maximum limit on anything that falls under warranty ie Water resistant to 4m

If they leaked at 1m, then you are going to go back and claim that your pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL-R binos clearly aren't water resistant at that depth, and get a replacement pair of binos. However, if you took them diving to a depth of 30m and they leaked, well...tough

Given all this, I have a pair, and am very, very happy with them. I don't think I'm that stupid to be honest, and I'm not overly happy being told that I am, but you are clearly entitled to your opinion.

Cheers
    iain

I'm happy with my ELs also and the lifetime guarantee that I've unfortuately had to use on the scope I bought from them. I highly recommend the ELs.

I'm all too aware of issues with limits, accuracy, conversions, resolution and pressure/leak testing as I deal with them daily. To interpret "at least 4m" as implying "and any depth thereafter" is an interesting and wrong conclusion to draw.

Their statement implies that they're all ok at least to 4m depth BUT that's not what it says. It's a weak guarantee due to the wording. Yes that's pedantic but not incorrect.

Eh?

If you're going to be pedantic, you could argue that "up to 4m" means "to 3.99999999999 recurring m" as they don't state "up to and including 4m".

If you're going to be really pedantic, you could argue that 4m is actually 13.1233596ft not 13ft.

They are stating that they are water resistant TO 4m for one really simple reason. AT LEAST 4m implies "and any depth thereafter", and no-one will offer that under warranty. A warranty is to cover both the customer and the vendor, so the vendor will generally put a maximum limit on anything that falls under warranty ie Water resistant to 4m

If they leaked at 1m, then you are going to go back and claim that your pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL-R binos clearly aren't water resistant at that depth, and get a replacement pair of binos. However, if you took them diving to a depth of 30m and they leaked, well...tough

Given all this, I have a pair, and am very, very happy with them. I don't think I'm that stupid to be honest, and I'm not overly happy being told that I am, but you are clearly entitled to your opinion.

Cheers
    iain