Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parker Hale - Sporter or Safari?

Parker Hale - Sporter or Safari?

Looking to buy my first rifle end of August when the FAC is sorted. I have settled on either a Parker Hale Sporter or Safari, mainly for financial reasons but also as I like old rifles.

Anyone know the key differences between the Sporter and Safari models? I'm struggling to find much info. on the web.

Similar style BSA remains a wildcard option, but that's another thread.

Thanks.

SD Regular
    Parker Hale rifles were warranted to shoot under 3" at 100 Yards using Norma factory ammunition. And whilst some shoot a lot better do not, unless you want to be disappointed, expect much better than 1" to 2" groups at that distance with ANY SORT of ammunition...factory or handloads.

Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet has always a good selection of such rifles AND 'SCOPE MOUNTING BLOCKS FOR THEM.

Hi

Brithunter (Kevin) on the SD will be able to answer your questions - he has many a PH/BSA rifle etc.

I have an M81 Classic (from new) and mine shoots <1" groups at the 100yds. When the Nobel Rifle No.1 powder runs out that may change............

L

I had a Parker Hale 1200 Safari. It had a heavy barrel, this might be the difference between the 2. I got mine about 28 years a go 2nd for 135 including the rcbs dies. I sold the rifle 10 years later for the same as I bought it for. It was in mint condition. It was a .243 and would group sub half inch with 70 grain ballistic tips, 39 grains of N140

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120514_153416.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	30409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120501_214307.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	30410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120512_191949.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	30411
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Parker Hale rifles were warranted to shoot under 3" at 100 Yards using Norma factory ammunition. And whilst some shoot a lot better do not, unless you want to be disappointed, expect much better than 1" to 2" groups at that distance with ANY SORT of ammunition...factory or handloads.

Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet has always a good selection of such rifles AND 'SCOPE MOUNTING BLOCKS FOR THEM.

RUBBISH CLAIM!!!
    Middle pic is my parker hale 30.06. left hand pic is a group with my 150gn handloads. right pic is a group with factory federal rounds distance about 85yds.

Yep, def. after a heavy barrel as it will get lots of target use. Trying to avoid a Gibbs/Midland any info on identifiers would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post

Anyone know the key differences between the Sporter and Safari models? .
    Calibre/cartidges offered
    Stock shape
    Fore and rear Sight options

pics to mull over

http://www.normanclark.com/exploded_diagram/explode.htm

SD Regular
    A Midland is made on a Springfield '03 bolt so it will have a third lug on the right side that visibly beds against the rear receiver ring. Those P-H rifles made on a Mauser 98 bolt will have a third lug but it will be on the underside of the bolt hidden in the raceway below the rear receiver ring.

However when properly done there's nothing wrong with a Springfield '03 as this video shows...or with a Gibbs.

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a4_sniper_rifle_.html
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 18-07-2013 at 21:52.

I have the 1967 (or maybe 1968) PH catalogue.

If you want to take a look, PM your email and I will scan and sent the relevant pages.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

I've owned both, and still own a safari in 30-06. To be honest I've been lucky with P-H's, all the ones I've owned have shot very well. I had one in 308 Norma Mag that would put 3 rounds into a half inch all day...... if I didn't blow the shot that is. They're still popular and sought after over here and have a very good reputation.

AB