Thread: Help from SD member to get a job

Help from SD member to get a job

Hi all,

I have got to the point in my life where I am sick and tired of working my butt off for people getting hardly anything in return and doing jobs i detest.

All my life I have wanted to work within the shooting industry but never really known how to go about getting "in".
    I don't come from a farming back ground, my parents don't shoot and I don't have a double barreled surname so not much going for me there. What I do have is an unrivaled passion and enthusiasm for the shooting world.

I have decided to write a letter describing myself and the kind of work I am after. This isn't a begging letter more of a letter describing myself, my shooting past and asking for help and advice from people as the best course of action to get into the industry.

I am more interested in a job on the sales side maybe as a sales rep or even a sporting agent/shooting assistant as I love meeting new people and exploring new places.

My request from the SD world is could you guys name some places for me to send my letter? I have already got a few planned but there is a lot out there that I don't know of.

Also any tips or advice greatly appreciated. Even if its "give up now all hope is lost"

Many thanks and i look forward to your input.

Phil

The saying, It's who you know not what you know, is more fitting for the shooting industry than any other.
    I think it's also what are you willing to sacrifice for the right job.
    Im in a similar position to you and willing to uproot my family and move to the other end of the country if that's what it takes.

Best of luck.
    ​Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by filzee View Post
    Hi all,

I have got to the point in my life where I am sick and tired of working my butt off for people getting hardly anything in return and doing jobs i detest.

All my life I have wanted to work within the shooting industry but never really known how to go about getting "in".
    I don't come from a farming back ground, my parents don't shoot and I don't have a double barreled surname so not much going for me there. What I do have is an unrivaled passion and enthusiasm for the shooting world.

I have decided to write a letter describing myself and the kind of work I am after. This isn't a begging letter more of a letter describing myself, my shooting past and asking for help and advice from people as the best course of action to get into the industry.

I am more interested in a job on the sales side maybe as a sales rep or even a sporting agent/shooting assistant as I love meeting new people and exploring new places.

My request from the SD world is could you guys name some places for me to send my letter? I have already got a few planned but there is a lot out there that I don't know of.

Also any tips or advice greatly appreciated. Even if its "give up now all hope is lost"

Many thanks and i look forward to your input.

Phil
    Unfortunately these days enthusiasm and experience wont always cut it ,paper qualifications /degrees are often required , show how serious you are by going to college / uni for 2-3 years , regardless of your age , theres loads of grants and loans available which you dont have to pay back until you start earning over 21k , if you have kids you can get loads of financial help.

http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk/underg...ide-management

Student finance, loans and universities - GOV.UK

UCAS €“ Home | Helping you into university and college in the UK
    Last edited by Johno100; 18-07-2013 at 12:52.

Sorry Phil to be stating the obvious but as your sick of working your butt off for little in return why are you lookong for a job within the shooting community..

Unless ofcourse you can afford to have a job where your enjoyment comes before the wages you might do well looking elsewhere.

If you pm me there are some vacancies within sales tho not stalking related i may be able to help you with

Atb
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    Unfortunately these days enthusiasm and experience wont always cut it ,paper qualifications /degrees are often required , show how serious you are by going to college / uni for 2-3 years , regardless of your age ,
    funny you mention that,,ever since I finished my MBA and my wife her Masters, we've never heard so many employers and recruitment agencies say "these days it's more about experience and proven ability than qualifications"..I

I am still paying off 25K worth of MBA debts, and am actually earning less than when I started studying for my degree due to industry salaries coming down..

these days IMHO, if you want to earn some decent money in an industry you enjoy, you just have to be savy and get something creative and entrepreneurial up and running for yourself.

worst thing I ever did, was take a full time employed job,,,been fighting tooth and nail to get out of it since!..but am getting there ;-)

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Its not the money I am bothered about. I am quite good at saving and can live off a tight budget its is the job satisfaction I am after.

I am not really looking for game keeping more of a sales role type job.

The world is a funny place at the minute and I have always known that the shooting industry is a very "who you know" type of place.

If you don't ask you don't get and there is a wealth of knowledge from people all over the world on this site.

​As far as relocation goes i'd be more than willing to move if the position was right.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Sorry Phil to be stating the obvious but as your sick of working your butt off for little in return why are you lookong for a job within the shooting community..

Unless ofcourse you can afford to have a job where your enjoyment comes before the wages you might do well looking elsewhere.

If you pm me there are some vacancies within sales tho not stalking related i may be able to help you with

Atb
    ​PM sent many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    funny you mention that,,ever since I finished my MBA and my wife her Masters, we've never heard so many employers and recruitment agencies say "these days it's more about experience and proven ability than qualifications"..I

I am still paying off 25K worth of MBA debts, and am actually earning less than when I started studying for my degree due to industry salaries coming down..

these days IMHO, if you want to earn some decent money in an industry you enjoy, you just have to be savy and get something creative and entrepreneurial up and running for yourself.

worst thing I ever did, was take a full time employed job,,,been fighting tooth and nail to get out of it since!..but am getting there ;-)
    So you think that if you approached the Forestry commission , NT , RSPB , The Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust , D of E etc etc they would consider someone for a managerial post with no qualifications ? Have a look at CJS Daily Online - countryside, conservation jobs.