Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger M77 stutzen

Ruger M77 stutzen

I have an opportunity to buy a VGC ruger m77 stutzen in .243 with nice german optics on top...all at a reasonable price,,ish..

having never owned or even shot a ruger, does the forum have any constructive feedback on the quality of this rifle, any pitfalls, etc. and perhas, what would be a reasonable price, less optics, for such a rifle?

I don't know about the Ruger M77, but I just think that the more stutzens there are out there, the better a place the world of stalking is.

PKL. Buy the scope. Leave the rifle alone. I've owned 5 Ruger MKII's and I wouldn't shoot roe deer with them. Regards JCS

That's interesting John, I respect you POV on that of course, but any particular reasons you feel that way?

scope is ok, but seller won't split from rifle..typically!

Is that the one in Dickson's?

They've tried to sell it to me a couple times. If they took about 200 off the price, I'd have thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Is that the one in Dickson's?

They've tried to sell it to me a couple times. If they took about 200 off the price, I'd have thought about it.
    yeees, they've offered me a good chunk off that and another few rifles...I haggle them pretty hard but they like me and we have a laugh ;-)

they still refuse to take the recknagel mounts off that CZ ZKK .375H&H and sell them to me for my 30-06 for 50..buggers...LOL

I just picked it up and played about with it today as I'm getting a wee tiddler (.222) sent there next week,,it felt really nice,,you could almost stick it in your pocket sort of rifle

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I just picked it up and played about with it today as I'm getting a wee tiddler (.222) sent there next week,,it felt really nice,,you could almost stick it in your pocket sort of rifle
    I've had a play with it a few times - it does feel great - very pointable, like a shotgun. But I'm not sure about how well put together it is. I wish we could 'borrow' this sort of thing for a day in the field and properly get the feel of them.

What treble are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I've had a play with it a few times - it does feel great - very pointable, like a shotgun. But I'm not sure about how well put together it is. I wish we could 'borrow' this sort of thing for a day in the field and properly get the feel of them.

What treble are you getting?

just a cheapo depot BRNO, but I have a thing for them I am also building a nice slim stock for it with ebony cap and ebony schnabel tip, the rust bluing it..just a fun wee project really, it will be my 'light' summer roe stalking rifle, varminting rig and bunny basher past 50yds.

next though, I will be building a full custom .257R an a 7x57 on oberndorf M98's,,they will be sweethearts and will probably be the only two rifles I end up using for many years....

yeees, they've offered me a good chunk off that and another few rifles...I haggle them pretty hard but they like me and we have a laugh ;-)

they still refuse to take the recknagel mounts off that CZ ZKK .375H&H and sell them to me for my 30-06 for 50..buggers...LOL

Just buy the .375?

I have an opportunity to buy a VGC ruger m77 stutzen in .243 with nice german optics on top...all at a reasonable price,,ish..

having never owned or even shot a ruger, does the forum have any constructive feedback on the quality of this rifle, any pitfalls, etc. and perhas, what would be a reasonable price, less optics, for such a rifle?
    I love the way Ruger 77's look but I hate the way they shoot. Never up to their looks. The man at the local bakery asked me today about his Ruger M-77 in 6mm because it won't shoot. I gave him some practical advice but added that he could save grief by selling it and buying something else. He said it wasn't the first time someone had recommended that as a fix....~Muir

PS: When I was in business doing so, I rebarreled at least a dozen M77's because they wouldn't shoot.