Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R b pybus derby

R b pybus derby

I own a lovely little .222 which was built by R B Pybus of Derby.
    I was in at my RFD recently and he seems to recall that the above guy used to build the odd bench rest rifle . . . Can anyone shed any light on this rifle builder, as I would like to know a bit more about my rifle and who built it . . .

Almost nothing to be found on the interweb . .

Regards,

Cadex
    Last edited by Cadex; 18-07-2013 at 15:56.

that would be brian pybus.beleive he still lives nr Sheldon lock derby

Robert Bryan Smith Pybus was a bench rest shooter of some repute and a skilled riflesmith in his day.
    He died on the 8th of November last year and had been ill for quite some time before that.

I have a Pybus 22-250, heavy as a really heavy thing because of the monster barrel, but I love it.

According to Martin at Countryman of Derby, when Bryan became ill he decided to make sure that all the actions he had stored away were joined to stocks and sold so that they were used and not destroyed (he produced a number of rifles for police counter-sniper teams to try, and when the testing was complete he refused to destroy them as requested etc).

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    I have a Pybus 22-250, heavy as a really heavy thing because of the monster barrel, but I love it.

According to Martin at Countryman of Derby, when Bryan became ill he decided to make sure that all the actions he had stored away were joined to stocks and sold so that they were used and not destroyed (he produced a number of rifles for police counter-sniper teams to try, and when the testing was complete he refused to destroy them as requested etc).

Butty, great information, thanks. Do you have a photo of your Pybus rifle?

20-250, thanks ..My RFD did mention he thought he was ill ..I'm sorry to hear that.

I have bought mods of Brian and had barrels threaded and shortened. Only downside to him was you had to be ready to be at his house for a long time, as he could talk the back legs of a Donkey !
    He was a engineer at Rolls Royce before a RFD

Bryan was lovely chap, used to do most of my gunsmithing. Ive bought a couple of his rifles maybe just to remember him.

Bryan was a really nice guy who turned out some really accurate rifles and had hundreds of stories to tell, he will be sorely missed.

I was saddened to hear that Brian was dead.

He was generous to a fault with his time and knowledge and I will miss him.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".