R b pybus derby

Cut+Squirt

I own a lovely little .222 which was built by R B Pybus of Derby.
I was in at my RFD recently and he seems to recall that the above guy used to build the odd bench rest rifle . . . Can anyone shed any light on this rifle builder, as I would like to know a bit more about my rifle and who built it . . .

Almost nothing to be found on the interweb . .

Regards,

Cadex

Last edited:
Robert Bryan Smith Pybus was a bench rest shooter of some repute and a skilled riflesmith in his day.
He died on the 8th of November last year and had been ill for quite some time before that.

I have a Pybus 22-250, heavy as a really heavy thing because of the monster barrel, but I love it.

According to Martin at Countryman of Derby, when Bryan became ill he decided to make sure that all the actions he had stored away were joined to stocks and sold so that they were used and not destroyed (he produced a number of rifles for police counter-sniper teams to try, and when the testing was complete he refused to destroy them as requested etc).

I have a Pybus 22-250, heavy as a really heavy thing because of the monster barrel, but I love it.

According to Martin at Countryman of Derby, when Bryan became ill he decided to make sure that all the actions he had stored away were joined to stocks and sold so that they were used and not destroyed (he produced a number of rifles for police counter-sniper teams to try, and when the testing was complete he refused to destroy them as requested etc).

Butty, great information, thanks. Do you have a photo of your Pybus rifle?

I have bought mods of Brian and had barrels threaded and shortened. Only downside to him was you had to be ready to be at his house for a long time, as he could talk the back legs of a Donkey !
He was a engineer at Rolls Royce before a RFD

Bryan was a really nice guy who turned out some really accurate rifles and had hundreds of stories to tell, he will be sorely missed.

I was saddened to hear that Brian was dead.

He was generous to a fault with his time and knowledge and I will miss him.

I remember Brian, always had a tale to tell. which was usually unfortunate timing given the parking meters and wardens outside Martin's shop!

Sad to hear, but great that so many people remember him. That can't be bad can it. We all leave some kind of legacy, just some greater than others, eh.

I remember Brian, always had a tale to tell. which was usually unfortunate timing given the parking meters and wardens outside Martin's shop!

Sad to hear, but great that so many people remember him. That can't be bad can it. We all leave some kind of legacy, just some greater than others, eh.
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I am writing rather hoping to write an article on Bryan Pybus. I've been in touch with Martin and friends of of Bryan. What I am short of pictures and descriptions of the guns he modified/built. I am also looking for a picture of the man or anything associated with him. Pm if you can help. Cheers John
PS. I am the proud owner of a 222 he put his name to.

I have a cutting from the ST which is about BP, I think it is a letter asking for info on a rifle he made. I will see if I can find it.

D

spent hours lamping and shooting foxes with brian, brilliant gunsmith just loved shooting vermin/foxes. lovely man. R I P

I still own one of his .222s No amount of cash would see me part company with it, lost count how many roe it has taken.If you would like photos of it I'm happy to email you some.

Back