Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How realistic is the DSC1 simulated stalk?

How realistic is the DSC1 simulated stalk?

Hi chaps,
    Just wondering how far you have to go getting geared up for the simulated stalk in the DSC1 test?

I'm camping for the week while I do the course so will have to take everything with me and won't have the chance to pop home if I forget something! Are you expected to dress as you would out stalking and carry a sack, etc?

Bearing in mind I'll be filmed and it's likely to be scorching next week, it would look a bit daft if I wore my bermuda's on fieldsports TV!! Although I'd still look better than Team Wild!!

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

It's a walk around the edge of a field looking at four wooden targets. Nothing realistic about it, just dress for rough terrain and the day's weather. Don't need to take anything with you, maybe field glasses if the field is large.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    It's a walk around the edge of a field looking at four wooden targets. Nothing realistic about it, just dress for rough terrain and the day's weather. Don't need to take anything with you, maybe field glasses if the field is large.
    Best dig my budgie smugglers out then!!

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

You've been spotted, cammo was the giveaway...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green-camouflage-swim-brief-[3]-243-p.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	30443

not sure were your doing it but i did mine at donnington and everything was set out as it should be with cut out deer targets in a wood and around the walk you need bins to spot everything and you will be asked questions on safety of the shot ect as well as loading and reloading of the rifle over certain spots ,i just put on everything i would on a proper stalk as it was raining and cold but if its like this the camo borat thong will give you extra points.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Yes, it's a walk and talk.

You'll have to demonstrate safe handling of the rifle and carrying and safely passing it to someone and receiveing it and crossing an obstacle. For the obstacle one they will ask either if you are crossing the fence when stalking alone or with someone else. If the latter you need to firstly ask "Are you Dick Cheney...?"

Test is peasy but also peasy to fail as unsafe rifle handling or carrying could mean a quick fail. Tip was to always carry rifle slung with the barrel down, keep your hand on the forestock to stop it swinging up.

You're doing a course though aren't you so this is the tye of thing they'll go through.

MUCPUPS -
    M
    uzzle awareness - muzzle alsways down and in a safe direction (never in the air)
    Unload - Unload weapon and show this to the receiver
    C
    heck - Wiggle ginger in the action to check for a cartridge
    Pass - Pass it over keeping the muzzle safe
    Unloaded - Receiver peeps in the action
    Poke - Wiggle ginger in the action to check for a cartridge
    Slings & Swivels - Final check that the sling and swivels are properly attached

Concentrate, you won't lose points for being slow. If the bolt is slippery then stick your finger in the action to stop it flying foward, that would be a no-no.

You bringing your own rifle?
    Last edited by Toxster; 25-07-2013 at 08:05.

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    not sure were your doing it but i did mine at donnington and everything was set out as it should be with cut out deer targets in a wood and around the walk you need bins to spot everything and you will be asked questions on safety of the shot ect as well as loading and reloading of the rifle over certain spots ,i just put on everything i would on a proper stalk as it was raining and cold but if its like this the camo borat thong will give you extra points.
    Glad you put this up, As accurate a stalk could be without actually letting a round away. Do not omit the bino's,.............. unless of course you are going somewhere that operates a half assed setup.

P.S. Mereside, did you have your pockets turned out for biscuits?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Just noticed you said you'll be filmed. They will likely make it a tad harder for you to ensure realism.

On mine one target was parallel to a rifle range:
    "Is that shot safe?"
    "Probably given that someone has built a rifle range..."

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    On mine one target was parallel to a rifle range:
    "Is that shot safe?"
    "Probably given that someone has built a rifle range..."
    I hope he marked you down as wrong with that answer, just because a target runs parallel to a range in no way means that the shot will be safe. I also think that if your sim stalk was a stroll around the edge of a field you must have had it easy. When you are going on your sim stalk you should carry the kit you would have as per a real stalk.

You're taking my casual literary style too literally....