How realistic is the DSC1 simulated stalk?

I didnt even have a rifle on my safety assessment. Was just a walk around a field with various deer shaped targets set up. Didnt require binoculars either as the targets were all easily spotted.

Best advice is to just relax as 99% of the answers are common sense and the other 1% is gained from the manual beforehand.

I didnt even have a rifle on my safety assessment. Was just a walk around a field with various deer shaped targets set up. Didnt require binoculars either as the targets were all easily spotted.

Best advice is to just relax as 99% of the answers are common sense and the other 1% is gained from the manual beforehand.

That doesn't sound as if it was done right to me Adam. It sounds as if someone was not taking it seriously.
Who did you do it with?

It's easy. Just think safe, safe, safe.
Don't shoot at a skylined deer, don't shoot through sticks, don't shoot at deer without a backstop and always look to see if there's another deer behind.
If you don't think it's safe do what you you think is. If you don't want to cross the ditch or fence without unloading then don't. Check your safety a few times and be aware of your muzzle direction.
Don't over analize every minutia.

That ain't right.........

There are some very good training providers out there and there are some chancers. It's about time that the chancers were exposed for what they are.

I didnt even have a rifle on my safety assessment. Was just a walk around a field with various deer shaped targets set up. Didnt require binoculars either as the targets were all easily spotted...

I assume there was a separate rifle safety assessment where you passed rifles between people, crossed an obstacle and walked for a bit with it? I had a rifle with me during the whole thing, though I can see how the two exercises could be decoupled.

Its an open forum, not a court of law and hearsay is just that; so with genuine respect to all posters :tiphat: I write what follows.

There are Trainers and Assessors. Some Assessors also train, but Trainers cannot Assess. Outwith some if the existing schemes for training standards/ course content there is actually very little to prevent anyone claiming to be a trainer or offer courses. However, the test can only be delivered/administered by an Assessor.

Assessors are appointed ad subject to ongoing control by Centres within the DMQ organisation. Their work is subject to scrutiny - a part of which is the internal and external verification process which has cropped up on other threads. There are other checks and balances.

An Assessor may use suitably qualified Witnesses/ Assistants to deliver an Assessment, but he/she must be in overall control and the buck ( forgive pun ) stops with them.

There will be variations within the structure of the scheme in terms of how specific tests are conducted - most often within the dictates of the ground / facilities used - eg some ranges prohibit expanding ammo. But any variance from a fairly narrow 'norm' should be reported by the Assessor in his report back to HQ with the test papers. Said papers do get scrutinised more closely than you would think.

A perfect system and completely goof proof? No - not sure any has yet been invented that is. But the will and mechanisms ( improving all the time ) are there to pick up issues and make changes. I guarantee you that 'powers that be' read Sd and read threads such as this and that comments 'of concern' receive attention.

Turning to Stratts OP - the Assessment is detailed in your DSC manual, you'll have the questions in there and likely commentary as to how they are applied. Depending on which manual, something's can take a bit of 'reverse thinking' to piece together - eg; you will be required to identify 4 deer cut-outs as being safe/unsafe to shoot. To realistically and sensibly achieve that there are going to be more than 4 - simply because there has to be at least 1 safe shot cut-out as a sense check and the terrain may offer certain opportunities and not others.

All the directions regards this element concern the safe/ unsafe decision - it isnt a test of finding/seeing the thing :D you should not find the cut outs difficult to locate. However, to allow a good analysis of the cut-out and it's surrounding area binoculars are a good idea. 99.9% of centres will have a loan pair as the DSC1 remains a foundation course and maybe taken by people who have yet to 'gear up'. There is no time limit - ( in back reference to another thread that mentioned 'pens down' instruction on a written test ) - to this part or any other. So take your time and think things through. There are no tricks - it is pure a test of the knowledge/ requirements as laid out in the manual - but that does entail close observation ;)

The Safety element requires the demonstration of safe load/unload, conduct and carry with a rifle. These should be demonstrated. In certain instances it can be acceptable to replace demonstration with description - this again would be highlighted in the Assessors report.

Gear - you are not assessed on how natty your real bush/mossy cloak/ disadvantage DPM/Muticoloured Swap shop mega deathe zero pong IRR stealth suit is. But clothing and footwear appropriate to the terrain and weather is the way to go. In this case, you have the additional element of a film crew to consider though.

I think a very useful thread - again Stratts :tiphat: - it often seems that the uncertainty/ unknown is a bigger hurdle than the actual learning of DSC1 content. I would just ask Stratts ( as he has already been doing ) to feedback how things actually went for him and to keep in mind all such elements as this that were issues beforehand.

If we go back to Sratts original question I would say that the candidate should turn up at the simulated stalk with all the equipment that he would normally carry on a stalk with the exception of ammunition. He should treat it just like a stalk starting from kitting up and checking his kit and then progressing to taking his rifle out of it secured storage in the car and proving clear. He then progresses through the stalk loading and unloading at the appropriate times and inspecting the barrel when necessary. He should explain at every stage what he is doing and why he is doing it. The "stalk" finally ends when he has unloaded and finally secured the rifle back in it's secure storage.

After all isn't it supposed to be a simulated stalk.

Last edited:
Tip was to always carry rifle slung with the barrel down, keep your hand on the forestock to stop it swinging up.

At my DSC1 safety test (in 2011) we were informed clearly beforehand that, irrespective of personal preference, for the purposes of the test we should carry the rifle slung in front of us with the muzzle up and our hand on the fore end.

I presume there is nothing to stop you asking a question before the test commences if they do not specify their preference...

I heard of one little trick which demonstrated off guard behaviour. After the safety test had been successfully completed and the examinee was putting his rifle back in the case the examiner said, "Nice rifle could I have another look at it?" and having just gone through the unloading/ empty chamber routine the examinee just pulled it back out and handed it to him...bolt closed!

​Alan

Indeed, many safe ways to carry a rifle. As long as you do your chosen method safely you'll be fine.

The "trick" question is a good one, at the end of my test I had to hand it to the next candidate - which I did MUCPUC...so yes, safe handling until it is out of your posession. And... there may be other candidates around so safe pointing includes avoiding them/cars etc. No points lost for being slow and methodical.

Remember to approach your 'dead' deer keeping in mind safe backstops just in case it were to get up and run off? IE don't push it in the direction of a road, your fellow candidates or up a hill!

Good luck and remember there will not be trick questions.

Last edited:
Back