Shooting ranges in Florida

The Seeker

Hi,

I'm off to Clearwater in Florida in a couple of weeks time, the wife is off riding for a day and I thought I would treat myself to a day on a range having a go with some firearms we are most unlikely to see the use over here ever again.

Has anyone any experience with shooting ranges in Clearwater that they would reccomend and what if any proceedure there is to booking on?

Thanks in advance
Seeker :tiphat:

There should be some about pal I know of one on international drive that you can shoot any gun in the shop and you walk outside the shop and walk around the back with the firearm you did not need your license or anything.

I've been to the Oak Ridge ,Gun Range , 6160 south Orange Ave ,Orlando FL 32809 , you turn up with your passport as I.D and shoot whatever they have for hire behind the counter ,not the most high tech but great just to pick up a pistol again

Was in FL last year, you need to buy a Licence from Wal Mart (bigger ones), for $29.

Take that and passport to any of the ranges (there are loads) and you can shoot anything they have for a few dollars.

I went to one an hours drive out of Davenport think it was called Tenabrack or similar, had various pistols to shoot, just went with 9mm and 40 SW for 300 rounds..

Had ace few hours.

I've been to the Oak Ridge ,Gun Range , 6160 south Orange Ave ,Orlando FL 32809 , you turn up with your passport as I.D and shoot whatever they have for hire behind the counter ,not the most high tech but great just to pick up a pistol again

+1

I was there a couple of months ago and went to the Shoot Straight range in Ft Lauderdale - which is also close to an enormous Bass Pro which you cannot miss. Just need your passport and cash.

try and get on a fishing boat as well...great fishing and really cheap, I paid about £50 for 7 hours fishing all in and caught plenty including a 400lb bull shark!

if your in Clearwater you have got to go to ( harbour reloading & supply ) just outside Clearwater I have never seen so much reloading gear in all my life and cheap too. I was like a kid in a sweet shop you name it this guy had it . as for ranges plenty about just look in the yellow pages the one called oak ridge is a bit of a hike. unless your going to the bass pro shop at the end of international drive. ps get your self down to fishermans pier on Clearwater beach and do some fishing and just look at the size of the fish in the water (monsters) you can hire a rod on the pier. last time I came back I had 2000 bullets 3 sets of dies and 2 scopes in one case and a trigger no problem at all but be warned get (TAS approved locks or they will cut yours off) cannot wait to go back

if your in Clearwater you have got to go to ( harbour reloading & supply ) just outside Clearwater I have never seen so much reloading gear in all my life and cheap too. I was like a kid in a sweet shop you name it this guy had it . as for ranges plenty about just look in the yellow pages the one called oak ridge is a bit of a hike. unless your going to the bass pro shop at the end of international drive. ps get your self down to fishermans pier on Clearwater beach and do some fishing and just look at the size of the fish in the water (monsters) you can hire a rod on the pier. last time I came back I had 2000 bullets 3 sets of dies and 2 scopes in one case and a trigger no problem at all but be warned get (TAS approved locks or they will cut yours off) cannot wait to go back

Interesting what's the law on importing bullets? I wouldn't have even thought of this can it be done without any issues?
also what do you mean TAS locks, what are they and who will cut the locks off why?

yep import what you want so long as you don't go over the amount on your FAC that's only ( expanding) if you want say A MAX or any non expanding in any calliber the skys the limit as for the TAS locks I think it stands for (transport and safety something) which the USA customs have keys for. my cases did get opened by them and a nice little note left inside saying it had been opened and it was then relocked (TAS padlocks are less than £10 at any lock smith or Debenhams or large department store will have them or even ebay ) if you don't have them USA customs don't mess around and just bolt crop your locks off

yep import what you want so long as you don't go over the amount on your FAC that's only ( expanding) if you want say A MAX or any non expanding in any calliber the skys the limit as for the TAS locks I think it stands for (transport and safety something) which the USA customs have keys for. my cases did get opened by them and a nice little note left inside saying it had been opened and it was then relocked (TAS padlocks are less than £10 at any lock smith or Debenhams or large department store will have them or even ebay ) if you don't have them USA customs don't mess around and just bolt crop your locks off

Thanks for the tip, read up on it and just ordered some locks off amazon.

What I used to do when in the states was get the yellow pages out or nip into the nearest gun shop and ask (lots of em about) where I could shoot. Simples, cos they are really welcoming and don't treat you like as nutter cos you would like to shoot.

Found a nice little pistol range in Tampa near the big top flea market, good play with a hired .40 s&w and .smith 586 .357 :lol: lovely!

+1 also one forget the name in boggycreek drive and clayground at kc ranch 30 mins south east of int drive , if you wish to find a gun range just ask any copper ,there was a real good one run by D.E.A guys thay had 50cal to .22 ,was behind the green palace curry house on int -drive. there is a gun and tyre pown broker at the botom end of the main rd to sanford Don't go to this one its full of good old boys but some real down and out banjo players from the strip club next door ??
have fun :D i'll be back there next year again and be going to my pals club for full auto m4's for sum play time he owns a police training and RD testing range in fort lauderdale :lol:

Hello chaps thoughts would update the thread and hope it will be if some use to somone in the future...

I went today to Shoot Straight shooting range highway19 Clearwater Florida. I chose this place as it has had some good reviews since being taken over recently and the fact I'm staying in Clearwater made it more so.

I needed to take my passport as an ID (as did my wife) and you have to join the club as a minimum 30 day membership which was $40.00. I went on a Monday as its ladies shoot free day and it gave me the opportunity to let my wife have a go which she did and really enjoyed.

There are two indoor ranges a 25 yard pistol range and a 50 yard rifle range. I had 50 rounds with a .38 S&W special and 20 rounds on a 7.62 AK47.

The place was really welcoming and helpful and the whole experience including membership, gun hire, ammition and targets came to $90.

So if your over in the states give it a go, I only feel sad that back in the UK I can't continue pistol target shooting....

ATB
​Seeker

Hello chaps thoughts would update the thread and hope it will be if some use to somone in the future...

I went today to Shoot Straight shooting range highway19 Clearwater Florida. I chose this place as it has had some good reviews since being taken over recently and the fact I'm staying in Clearwater made it more so.

I needed to take my passport as an ID (as did my wife) and you have to join the club as a minimum 30 day membership which was $40.00. I went on a Monday as its ladies shoot free day and it gave me the opportunity to let my wife have a go which she did and really enjoyed.

There are two indoor ranges a 25 yard pistol range and a 50 yard rifle range. I had 50 rounds with a .38 S&W special and 20 rounds on a 7.62 AK47.

The place was really welcoming and helpful and the whole experience including membership, gun hire, ammition and targets came to $90.

So if your over in the states give it a go, I only feel sad that back in the UK I can't continue pistol target shooting....

ATB
​Seeker

If that range is close to you then I would repeat what someone said earlier & suggest you pay a visit to Harbor Reloading - see http://www.harbor-reloading.com/ - who are just off US19 & north of SR60 (Gulf to Bay - the causeway from Tampa Airport and straight to Clearwater Beach?).

Good guys there give straight advice & good prices.

​Enjoy.

Last edited:
Back