Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small bore LEGAL definition

Small bore LEGAL definition

Anyone know officially what it is?
    I only ask as I recently got back my cert from a variation for a .20 centerfire (and that is exactly what I asked for) However both the rifle and the mod are described as small bore on the cert. Are they?

I have read definitions of small bore being anything under .30 but my 7mm is under .30 and is full bore on my cert, so what's the cop's definition. I don't want to drive to yorkshire to pick up my .20 vartarg only to find I have a variation for a .20 rimfire....

​Thanks in advance..

What is the exact wording of what you can acquire? Small bore usually refers to .22 rimfire

That's downright sloppy and certainly not clear. There is a legal definition of small bore as in miniature rifle clubs but no clear cut definition of full bore as far as I know only general parlance.
    I for one would certainly get that clarified before entertaining a long wasted journey.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

OK Just looked closely at the wording, it actually says ".20 rifle" which is fine, the "small bore" refers to the moderator. My HMR mod is also small bore but my 7mm is full bore.

I am less worried about this now, although I am getting a centerfire mod on the Vartarg, its not like I'm going to stick a 30 SAK on it. So the question remains is there a legal difference between a ASE SL5 The centerfire one that I am getting, and the SAK rimfire one that I have on the HMR?

Since the recent "Fall of soot", with regards H.O. guidance in some force areas, mods are now listed in cals from,up to, and including ... .22 - .375.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Allegedly full bore is upwards of .30 cal but I wouldn't particularly like to argue the point. Apparently the term was invented when .303 and 7.62 were the recognised military calibres.

Take your smallbore definition from that.

So has anyone got a .22 CF with a "small bore" moderator on their cert?

I have 'small bore' and 'full bore' mods on my cert, and asked for clarification (the rifles themselves are listed by specific calibre).

They explained that small bore was rimfire only, full bore was any centrefire.

I rang the police, sure enough its a mistake, they they designate the type of mod according to what the rifle is conditioned for, so a 1a condition would be small bore, but a 1b or 1c condition would be full bore 1b is fox and ground game, 1c is deer. Oddly enough my HMR is conditioned 1b and yet has small bore mod...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    I rang the police, sure enough its a mistake, they they designate the type of mod according to what the rifle is conditioned for, so a 1a condition would be small bore, but a 1b or 1c condition would be full bore 1b is fox and ground game, 1c is deer. Oddly enough my HMR is conditioned 1b and yet has small bore mod...
    they just make it up
    ​cheers lister