13 5.14%
  • Pull through/boresnake after several outings

17 6.72%
  • Full clean, carbon and copper fouling after several outings

66 26.09%
  • Part clean, carbon fouling after several outings

24 9.49%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you clean your rifle after each outing?

Do you clean your rifle after each outing?

Have seen many posts over my time on SD asking the ultimate 'marmite' question (less the 6.5x55 is the perfect UK deer cartridge..).

So a quick poll with some options, just be honest and true and let's see how it turns.

Cheers
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

If I've been stalking I'll just pull a bore snake through, but do a decent clean when I've been to the range and put a number of rounds down.

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

That's the spirit! Can you fill in the poll, you managed to post before I'd listed it!
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Had no real hard and fast rule with the .22 R/F and the HMR but always gave them a wipe over at the end of the day.Tended to look after the CF rifles a bit better.
    ​And then every now and again I would go mad and strip and clean them all thoroughly

Full monty.

But then, mine is a 6.5x55, the perfect deer calibre.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Exactly...
    WSC 1942

I don't know, I'll ask the wife

I can't believe the highest rating is full clean, carbon, copper, etc. after EVERY outing,,it really is not necessary, there is NO point..I can only assume the majority of respondents just 'like to do it' to feel they're working on their firearm,,,,because in all honesty, it's a waste of time...every 5-10 outings (shot number and weather dependant) is more than fine to avoid any corrosion or pitting..

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I can't believe the highest rating is full clean, carbon, copper, etc. after EVERY outing,,it really is not necessary, there is NO point..I can only assume the majority of respondents just 'like to do it' to feel they're working on their firearm,,,,because in all honesty, it's a waste of time...every 5-10 outings (shot number and weather dependant) is more than fine to avoid any corrosion or pitting..
    Exactly the reason for the poll. Some might argue that corrosion, which is pitting, happens quite rapidly made worse by damp conditions and condensation. There may be other reasons too; such as reloaders who apply a consistency mark for themselves; sharpshooters who have 'always done this'; stalkers who are not out everyday; others who are out everyday; keepers who don't have time in amongst all the other tasks etc.

Am interested to hear what people 'actually do' not whether it is right or wrong, or a waste of time.
    Last edited by RickoShay; 22-07-2013 at 20:56.
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Exactly the reason for the poll. Some might argue that corrosion, which is pitting, happens quite rapidly made worse by damp conditions and condensation. There may be other reasons too; such as reloaders who apply a consistency mark for themselves; sharpshooters who have 'always done this'; stalkers who are not out everyday; others who are out everyday; keepers who don't have time in amongst all the other tasks etc.

Am interested to hear what people 'actually do' not whether it is right or wrong, or a waste of time.
    I use a slightly different regime on each calibre:-

.243 Blaser r8 - clean to high standard after each use, why buy a premium quality accurate rifle and risk it deteriorating by neglect ?

.17 HMR CZ 452 - again cleaned after each use unless less than 10 shots fired in dry conditions, the ammunition malfunctions in this calibre are well documented and the opinion that I had from someone in the gun trade was that infrequent barrel cleaning may sometimes be the cause, so another risk to avoid.

.22 rf CZ 452 - This is the one getting the heaviest use at the moment as both myself and my teenage son are using this for range work. Unless it has been exposed to moisture all this usually gets is a wipe with an oily rag to remove finger marks and a barrel & action clean every 100 - 200 shots.

It may be a coincidence but the Blaser shoots the tightest groups, followed by the .17 hmr.

atb Tim