My First "Custom" Rifle

Claret_Dabbler

I have finally taken delivery of my first semi - custom rifle. Almost a year in the making – most of that down to firearms licensing here in NI, and at least two years in the “thinking”.

I had been contemplating the “ultimate" UK and Ireland deer rifle for lowland hunting where the ranges rarely exceed 200m. Most of my stalking is Sika and Fallow, we don’t have Roe, so to be Sika capable in my opinion rules out the 243win. However, I wanted near 243 levels of noise and recoil, with near 270 killing power, the 260 Rem seemed on paper to fit the bill. I also wanted all this in a short, handy, moderated and weatherproof package – have you seen where Sika hang out in Ireland?

I was influenced a lot over the past two or three years by various internet forums, particularly the style of rifles favoured by some of the guys on 24hourcampfire, and the rifles used by “1894” on AR. To cut a lot of pondering short I came up with a McMillan marbled stock, a Sako 75 action with Sako trigger and bottom metal and a Lothar Walther barrel as the components.

After some telephone conversations, Chris Blackburn at UKgunworks was chosen to build the rifle. There were many phonecalls about barrel length – 22”, it can always be shortened in the future, chamber dimensions – saami minimum spec, and trigger pulls.

The rifle turned up last week, and load development commenced on my “home range”:

001-1.jpg

I want to shoot a bullet which will come close to the killing power of the classic 130gr in the 270, with similar SD and BC numbers. So, I initially played with H4831 and 120gr Sierra Prohunter’s and 129gr SST’s – this round does not need premium bullets for deer. Velocity was good but I could not get these load combo’s to group consistently. The only other suitable powder I had was Benchmark, a much faster powder. So I switched to that. The rifle immediately started to group at the 0.5” mark. I am pleasantly surprised by the velocity I am achieving. Hodgdon’s suggest 2950fps for a 120gr bullet with 40grs of Benchmark and a 24” test barrel, and we all know “book” velocities are optimistic. This rifle with a 22” barrel is clocking 2940 fps with 39grs and no pressure signs. I also noticed a lower level of report through the ASE Jet-Z with the lighter charge of faster powder.

The new rifle looks and handles great. I don’t know if I will ever love a synthetic and stainless rifle compared to walnut and blue steel, but it should resist our climate much more successfully than my Sauer.

005.jpg

I knocked up 20 rounds to this recipe to hunt with next weekend, but I know it will do better once I start tweaking OAL:

006.jpg

Nice looking rifle.
But don't like the look of your backstop! Hopefully you had just set this up for a photo op.

Looks like a nice piece of kit, were you not tempted to go 260AI?

I must say that since I had a rifle put together on my old Sako 75 action I find it hard to reach for the factory stick anymore.

I too went for a Lothar barrel, and a Mcmillan stock and I see you changed the bolt shroud too to get rid of the key concept. One thing I would consider doing is having the barrel vapour blasted to a matt finish.

Here's my .270;

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Happy hunting with it, I'm sure it won't be long before your thinking about the next project.

I'm going to put a 6.5x47 lapua together next.

ATB
Moses

That looks great Brian, well worth the wait. If that don't bring a smile and a Sika or two I don't know what will.

John

Thanks lads. I was tempted to go AI, or x284 or even 6.5x47L, but thought for a practical stalking tool, the feeding characteristics of the standard '08 case was the way to go. I am also pleased by the velocity, didn't think I would get that.

I am not sure she will remain as is. I might get it vapour blasted or even duracoated. I am not entirely convinced either by the Jet-Z. I might take another inch off the barrel and have a PES scout fitted instead.

Moses, I saw your rifle before and liked it a lot. The bolt shroud was supplied that way, Chris Blackburn had a bunch of unused Sako 75 actions he bought, this was not built of a donor.

Duracoat does look nice and there are some good finishes availible from

http://www.jagersportingarms.co.uk/diy.asp parker is a particularly good one but, it is only paint and will not take any hard knocks.
I have some bits on the .270 duracoated like the optilok rings and the bolt knob as they were a blued finish before and I wanted matte it's perfect for that.

If you can live with the barrel and action being different colours then a process like vapour blasting or bead blast is the way to go.

I totally understand what you're saying about the jetZ, I think eveyone is hung up on the size of them i/e because they are small they must be the best.

I dont think they do anything for the balance of the rifle thats why I use the T12 scout as I think they distribute the weight better being an over barrel job.

What colour mix is the stock by the way? looks great.

Moses, I actually like the contrasting action and barrel, I think I will get it blasted at some point.

The trigger when it arrived was too light for my tastes, I had to back it off some.

The stock is a black/olive/tan mix, 50/25/25 I think, I picked it off Jackson Rifles website. The McMillan stock is very stiff, it is light years ahead of the factory synthetics I have seen, I just have not got used to the feel of it in my hands yet.

I really want to shoot 120gr BT's but have not been able to lay hands on any yet.

Super looking rig Brian

Seeing as though we are on the subject here is mine I got back about 6 weeks ago.

It is on a Sako 85 action and I have put 5 x 3 shot groups in on aggregate measuring in the early .4's

It is a Pac Nor #4 fluted 24" and bedded into a McMillan and calibre is 300 WSM.

I have seen Moses' before and thought it looked the business. Now another one has reared it's head in .260

P8230021.jpg

P8230023.jpg

034.jpg

The target above shows 4 groups each with different primers. The 2 on the right are with magnum primers and the 2 on the left are with non mag (Rem 9.5 and BR2's). With a new rifle these days I always do the primer test. It is amazing the difference most of the time.

Very nice, mmmm I do have an open slot for a 300 wsm!

I have been looking for a stainless 75 WSM action for sometime but, they seem to be like hens teeth over here, America is littered with them.

Who did the work on your 300?

ATB
Moses

Hi Moses

Mike Norris did it (Brock and Norris) and is the second one he has done for me and the second one that is a sub half (consistent sub half) performer.

I have got a couple of 75 stainless rifles too and although the 85 action is different in design I cannot see any difference in quality. All metal parts etc etc

Gregor had quite a few 75's in .270 WSM just before the 85 came in as I was close to getting one but wanted the lighter 85 action for this rifle build.

I will say the Sako short mag action either 75 or 85 is one of the best out there in terms of production rifles (detach mag 4 + 1 and no malfunctions).

The nightmare bit was getting the McMillan for a short mag 85 action but I was helped out by a very helpful American who sent a barrelled action into McM while they sorted it. They had the rifle for 6 months!

FWIW

I ve just tried some .260 loads in my Tikka 595 , and the best grouping (.4MOA) was produced with 40Gn RL15 , Nosler Brass, 120Gn Nosler BT's, Fed GM210M primers, and this gave 2893/2895/2898 fps from 3 rounds. The Nosler book gives 2895 fps for this load, and also as the most accurate in their testing. Amazing that the load I tested duplicated almost exactly the Nosler Book. Probably coincidence, but it will make a fine deer load for everything I get to stalk in UK.

I haven't yet had time to play with seating depths as I used .025 " off the lands as a purely arbitrary stand off for powder load assessment. I'm sure the groups will tighten up a bit once the seating depth has been refined.

BTA

P

health to enjoy

lovely rifle claret. Any recommendations of where to get a deer in NI? Would be handier than travelling across the water or to the south, with the licencing etc.

Back