Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geco Softpoint ammo 243

Geco Softpoint ammo 243

Was thinking of getting a few rounds of these (using for fox, up to fallow).
    What are the main differences re trajectory, accuracy and impact between a soft point round like these and an equivalent polymer tipped version?

These are cheap and cheerful and I have taken two fallow with 'em and a fox last season. But the ones I had were 105 grains and I wasn't happy with it on the fox. My 223 knocks 'em down on the spot. With the 243 and the 105 grain SP the bugger ran 50 yards before realising it was dead.

But they are good enough - group "ok" and do the job. I prefer my home loads though.....

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    What are the main differences re trajectory, accuracy and impact between a soft point round like these and an equivalent polymer tipped version?
    The only way you'll find out is by shooting some through your rifle. I've tried them on the range although not yet on live quarry. For what it's worth, through my CZ 550 they shoot to the same POA as Norma 100gn SP and produce a 1 inch group at 100 metres. The only ballistic tip comparison I can give you is with Remington 95gn Accutips which produce a 3.5 inch group 2.5 inches above the POA through the same rifle.

What price are these Geco's?

Some times reloading is such a chore. A box in the safe may be the difference between getting out shooting or an evening at the reloading bench yawn!
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    The only way you'll find out is by shooting some through your rifle. I've tried them on the range although not yet on live quarry. For what it's worth, through my CZ 550 they shoot to the same POA as Norma 100gn SP and produce a 1 inch group at 100 metres. The only ballistic tip comparison I can give you is with Remington 95gn Accutips which produce a 3.5 inch group 2.5 inches above the POA through the same rifle.
    So you found the accustoms less accurate? I would have thought the ballistic tips would be more accurate than a soft point.

just a thought on these but why do Gecco seem to make their rounds heavy for caliber, the .243 are 105 grains and the .223 I think are 58 seems very odd to stray from the mainstream common weights. That said they do seem pretty ok in use

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    So you found the accustoms less accurate? I would have thought the ballistic tips would be more accurate than a soft point.
    As a general rule I have always got better results (accuracy) with conventional soft point or hollow point bullets than those with polymer noses but that's only in the loads that I use.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by al4x1 View Post
    just a thought on these but why do Gecco seem to make their rounds heavy for caliber, the .243 are 105 grains and the .223 I think are 58 seems very odd to stray from the mainstream common weights. That said they do seem pretty ok in use
    Possibly because they use standard RWS manufactured bullets that were primarily designed for deer stalking (roe in the case of .223) and not varmint shooting?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

98 per 100 ish or cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    As a general rule I have always got better results (accuracy) with conventional soft point or hollow point bullets than those with polymer noses but that's only in the loads that I use.
    So what purpose does the polymer nose serve? Is it impact?