Twitter, disqus and all the other crap.

charadam

I REFUSE to tweet, twitter, disqus, facefart, fu*kand fannyabout.com and all the other "social media" crap.

WTF is this?

It seems to be becoming more difficult to respond to news items or petitions if you have gone through puberty.

Is this yet another conspiracy?

It certainly raises an interesting point and something we seem to see on this forum, and probably on every other one as well -

People are more than keen to tweet or post on the internet and get all excited and worked up about something but when it comes to doing any actual leg work to seek a resolution, say contacting their MP or SNH or whatever, they suddenly lapse into apathy and fail or refuse to act effectively to resolve the matter.

I refuse to have a f-book account, there are too many people using it to live their lives with inane and pointless input. I have recently started a twitter account purely for business as I see it as an additional way of disseminating news to my client list on a more regular basis than our monthly newsletter.
My view on any electronic media (including email) is that if you want to communicate with someone properly rather than simply disseminate information, then telephone them or meet them if logistically/geographically possible.

All electronic communication has devolved responsibility away from the sender - how many times has someone said 'but I sent you an email/tweat/text/facebook' etc etc etc. If it's that important - pick up the phone!

I REFUSE to tweet, twitter, disqus, facefart, fu*kand fannyabout.com and all the other "social media" crap...

It's the future. You don't need to use it, but ultimately it will hit your pocket if you don't understand it and use it judiciously. I've been saying for some years that one of these days an e-mail address will be a mandatory field on a FAC form.

Picking up on your own tag line, the future can be very painful and in extreme cases, fatal.

​Regards JCS

Yes many times posted pics of dear & boarive shot & lots of other things with both me & my rifles without any problems!
I'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG OR ILLEGAL & REFUSE TO BE ASHAMED!
Exactly right.

I'm curious - has anyone on here posted pictures of themselves with firearms and/or with dead deer on FB? I've never had the nerve to do it, and wonder what the response would be.

I'm curious - has anyone on here posted pictures of themselves with firearms and/or with dead deer on FB? I've never had the nerve to do it, and wonder what the response would be.

I have, but my content is only visible to people in my 'friends' list which is only friends and family. Had a few tongue in cheek 'bambi killer' remarks but nothing serious.

I use FB as kne method of keeping kn touch with friends in different parts of the world. I also have a twitter account, which I really only use for 'newscasts'from BASC, wired and some others.

As for posting pictures of animals/firearms, I very rarely do that, although my icon on both FB and twitter is a dead fox posing next to one kf my rifles!

Exactly right.

quite often when i had Facebook and had varying reactions, which usually resulted in the f*** o** conversation, if you don't like it delete me, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it!!!!

Exactly right.

I do regularly but my account can only be seen by people on my friends list and my "shooting" photo album also isn't visible to anyone on my friends list I think might get upset or argumentative about anything shooting related. You get the yearly harvest pile of dead foxes that makes a good picture to those in the know and then they can see what deer is going to feature in the next round of sausages and BBQ's

Exactly right.

Yes, and I also run a game farm and commercial shoot so I'm pretty much out there in the digital world and my web presence is increasing even without all the social media. I was researching some information on the estates we shoot over with no reference to shooting in the search criteria, and pictures of me from my website appeared in the image search results.

Mungo, you say you have never had the nerve - what is your worry?

Mungo, you say you have never had the nerve - what is your worry?

My worry is that, as a university lecturer, those sort of images could be taken out of context and used in damaging ways ('Shocking images of animal behaviour scientist murdering wildlife for fun').

My worry is that, as a university lecturer, those sort of images could be taken out of context and used in damaging ways ('Shocking images of animal behaviour scientist murdering wildlife for fun').

I wonder whether my brother will post pictures of experiments on pigs' swallowing on FB when he starts his new job. Probably not. As regards my photos, I sometimes email them to friends and/or family, but I like to choose who sees my photos, just generally.

OK, I see - I sympathise with you there. Fortunately direct action in our chosen pastime, and career for some, is very rare but I accept that in certain circumstances keeping it more covert can be a case of discretion being the better part of valour.

Of course the other argument is that the more we keep it hidden contributes to it's being considered as not acceptable by others. Keeping it overt can demonstrate that it is a normal activity that goes on everyday, all over the country.

Last edited:
Most of the Anti's use these social media sites to communicate and get their message out to very large audiences at no expense to themselves.
Should we not as the hunters/conservationists be more proactive at being seen on these sites so as to raise the public awareness of what we do and are about.
It could just be a case of ignorance that most people come down on the side of the anti groups,I for one have had more than one conversation with different people that at the end have said still not sure they agreed with what I do but understand the need now for it to be done.
Any way of to look for sneezing Pandas on you tube :)

Exactly right.

My main profile pictures my rifle and a small buck I took few weeks ago but only friends can comment on it, think I had one person say bambi killer but was only a joke as she had try'ed venison and didn't like it lol

Back