Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which 7mm bullets ?

which 7mm bullets ?

I'm new to reloading a 7mm (7x64). Reloading to shoot reds (big Devon reds not weedy scottish ones) roe and the occaisional fox from 20yds to 200yds. If you have a 7mm which bullets do you use/have you used ?
    I'm thinking Hornady 139gr SST or interbonds, Barnes 140gr TTSX, Nosler 140gr BTH or cheap and cheerful Sierra 140gr Game king. Maybe the load both the Hornady option to the same point of aim, the SST for roe and fox and the Interbond for reds ? Advice much appreciated.
    ​Steve

With my experience of factory loaded SST Hornady's I stick with them. Shot pigs, red and Sika with them and found them excellent

Quote Originally Posted by shbangsteve View Post
    I'm new to reloading a 7mm (7x64). Reloading to shoot reds (big Devon reds not weedy scottish ones) roe and the occaisional fox from 20yds to 200yds. If you have a 7mm which bullets do you use/have you used ?
    I'm thinking Hornady 139gr SST or interbonds, Barnes 140gr TTSX, Nosler 140gr BTH or cheap and cheerful Sierra 140gr Game king. Maybe the load both the Hornady option to the same point of aim, the SST for roe and fox and the Interbond for reds ? Advice much appreciated.
    ​Steve

I use the 139 gn Hornady Interbond ref 2820 in my 7x65r with very good results. It's a basic soft point, with minimal meat damage on Roe but very effective on Red hinds. If I was shooting big Reds I would go to the 154 or 173gn Interbond bullet, but would nt feel under gunned with the 139gn - they are quite a tough bullet so plenty of penetration but sufficient expansion. I have tried the bigger bullets in my 7x65 and they work well, but given it is a very light combination gun it is a little uncomfortable. With a 139gn it's very mild. In terms of powder I have had good results with both imr4831 and 4350 - former better with big bullets, latter a bit better with the lighter ones.

I have used the Speer 145 "Hot Cor" from my 7x57 with very good results on large mule deer.~Muir

I've used variouse 7mm's quite a bit over the years and to be honest I like them quite a bit in fact almost as much as I like 6.5mm's .

Anyway in the 7x57 , 7mm-08 and 280 REM (same as the 7x64) I liked the Nosler 140 BT and the Hornady 139 SST . When you stepped up to the 7mm SAUM , 7mm REM MAG , 7mm STW and 7mm Ultra Mag I always liked the Nosler 150 BT , Nosler 150 Partition and the Hornady 154 SST . And yes I have used the bullets mentioned in all the calibers mentioned and killed deer I might add !

Be careful if you use the game kings, Ive had a couple blowup at sub 150yds.
    my 7mm rem mag loves nosler partitions.
    Paul
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

140 grain TSX for me from a 7mm RM. does the business every time with minimal meat damage. I would not be worried about going one weight lighter with TSX if they were all that was available as they penetrate really well and won't blow up on impact

Thanks. I'm surprised R8 user finds SST suitable for Boar. If that's the case I see no point in spending the extra on Interbonds. It all depends on what my local gun shop has in stock, but sounds like any of the above bar the gamekings. Just out curiosity, is there any difference Between Barnes tsx, Hornady GMX and Nosler E-tips ? The videos all look the same.
    ​ Thanks for your advice. Steve

The SST's I have always found to hold together very well indeed. It is perhaps because of the cannelure I'm not sure but I wouldn't hesitate to use them on boar also.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    140 grain TSX for me from a 7mm RM. does the business every time with minimal meat damage. I would not be worried about going one weight lighter with TSX if they were all that was available as they penetrate really well and won't blow up on impact
    i was shooting 110gr TTSX all last year from my 7mm RM and feel the exact same

Andy7mm