Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Walk in Fridges for Hanging

Pub Walk in Fridges for Hanging

Right when hanging a deer would a walk in fridge in a pub be a good plan ? My cousin runs a pub about 10 mins down the road and says It's not a problem to hang a deer in there.
    It is a food storage fridge so upto all health standards etc.

The temp inside is around 3C , she says it is normally set around -1 - 3C but goes upto a top of around 6C when the door is open for a little while. I imagine this would be ok to hang a fallow in for a few days / weeks ??

Cheers for any help

Sooo....
    You are going to hang a smelly fallow in its jacket in a coldroom which is primarily used to store food to be consumed in a pub?
    The fridge may well be up to all health standards - right up to the point where the deer arrived!
    Please, think about this for a minute?
    I'd also like to know the name of this pub that your cousin runs so that i could avoid eating there - ever!
    MS

Sounds perfect. Ideally wants to be around the 4C mark.
    The only problem is, is it might jeopardise your cousins food hygeine. You might be ok if you take the jacket off the deer as its then a meat product.
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

​Matt.

The fridge size and temp is fine.

The dual purpose of using to store food for public consumption and wild game is not. He will get shut down.

Lloyd, MS is spot on ,the coldroom would be fine ,but with other food in there its a no , good offer from your cousin but he would be putting his head on the hygiene block along with that of customers .

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Sooo....
    You are going to hang a smelly fallow in its jacket in a coldroom which is primarily used to store food to be consumed in a pub?
    The fridge may well be up to all health standards - right up to the point where the deer arrived!
    Please, think about this for a minute?
    I'd also like to know the name of this pub that your cousin runs so that i could avoid eating there - ever!
    MS
    ​+1 ......Bad idea.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Sorry Lloyd ... Environmental Health Inspectors will close you cousin's pub down immediately if he found a fallow (in skin) in this fridge. Even if it wasn't in skin, raw meet should not be stored with anything else other than raw meat.
    CVK

Thank you for the insight.

May I just ask - if removing the jacket etc (which was my intention) , why is it classes differently than storing any other meat in a fridge ?
    It is also only for personal consumption

The venison being for personal consumption will not primarily be their concern, it's all the other food in there for public consumption that has the potential risk.
    If he stores any cooked or ready to eat food in that fridge then its a No-No. Some establishments with limited fridge storage are allowed to have both raw and cooked in a fridge but there MUST be a clearly identifiable and rigidly stuck to method of division in place so they never come into primary or secondary contact. The added fact that this is for personal consumption, not a valid and necessary part of his business viability, should also make it untenable.
    If the fridge is used entirely for raw meat etc. it might be a goer. I have served some pubs which have this facility of a large dedicated meat fridge, some have taken whole venison carcasses, though not many. Even then the carcase would have to be provable to an EHO as fit for general food sale as it's along side other food. If he's in the later situation I'd still suggest he called the EHO and had a chat to see if they were happy, some may be, some would not. It's unlikely they'd say yes. If they turned up without knowing it was there they'd almost certainly kick in to rigid mode and cause a lot of grief.
    Sorry, more negatives than positive for you in that post.

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    Thank you for the insight.

May I just ask - if removing the jacket etc (which was my intention) , why is it classes differently than storing any other meat in a fridge ?
    It is also only for personal consumption
    The issue is not if it is for your personal consumption or not.
    The issue is that there is a risk of cross contamination from the venison carcass to other food stored in that fridge - such as salads, cheeses, pies, hams...which ARE for public consumption.