Thread: 7mm rem mag

7mm rem mag

I have just bought a 7mm rem mag can some who has used this calibre help with some loading dater?

Yes i can, what do you want to know??

http://www.hodgdon.com/

Work up your own loads. No two rifles shoot the same load equally! ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir

Well riddle me this!

How is it that the load that is very popular on another forum,of 44gr Varget .308 155gr works very well in many different rifles?

Works well. is O.K.? Tack driver load. Spot on in a particular rifle. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by DL
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir

Well riddle me this!

How is it that the load that is very popular on another forum,of 44gr Varget .308 155gr works very well in many different rifles?
    Yes. There are many good loads that seem universal. I could swear to the Almighty that if you owned a 22 Hornet, 13.5 grains of Hodgdon's Lil Gun and a good quality bullet will probably shoot really well. Not the best in all rifles and not advice that anyone should take as gospel.

Finnbear is right on track. "Works well" is a relative term. Everyone needs to work up a load for their particular rifle, lot of brass, sizing dies, primers, bullets, etc. etc. This is a basic safety issue. ~Muir

I've used a 7mm Rem Mag for about three/four years, a great round on all the UK deer as long as you choose the right bullet construction, I've used various calibres and seen other calibres in use, and nothing I've seen puts deer down quite like it.

I've reloaded nearly every brand of bullet for this calibre over the last few years and heres what works for me.

150g Nosler CT's nice controlled expansion on Roe with 64.5g Reloader 22
    150g Sierra Gameking same expansion as above 62.5g H4831sc
    160g Sierra Gameking same expansion as above 61.5g H4831sc
    160g Nosler Accubond 61.5g H4831sc
    160g Nosler Partition 61.5g H4831sc

None of these rounds are fantastic speed wise around 2900/2950fps through a 28inch barrel, but they are 1/4inch on a bad day at 100yards and the 150g SGK's are a ragged hole and the most accurate that I use.

One bit of advise is that the Accubonds will pencil Roe, however I used them in Africa on Zebra, Bluewilderbeest, Warthog and Impala, and they were mustard with exits everytime.

Obviously build up your loads and watch for pressure, but these loads should be fine as there not HOT HOT!

P.S Forgot to mention I use CCI Magnum primers for all loads with this calibre, and have used various different brands of brass including Federal, Winchester, Nosler Custom with the same accuracy levels with all and no pressure signs

Hope this helps.

Hi

I use 140g Barnes TSX with 67 gr H4831SC. Kills very well and meat damage not excessive, even on roe. My rifle is a tackdriver out to 1200yards with sierra 168 MK and 65g H4831SC but have not used them on deer.

PS these loads were safe in my rifle but may not be safe in yours. Please use usual precautions and work up loads with care.

Cheers

S