Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC2 - additional evidence

DSC2 - additional evidence

While you are undertaking DSC2 and if I understand the process correctly, it's likely that.i will also be undertaking solo stalks on my ground. Now obviously the three AW stalks go in the Portfolio, but what about all the other activity? Should that be included? In a similar format? I also read somewhere that you could also submit your Deerstalking experience from the three years prior to DSC2 registration. Not sure if this has changed?

My personal situation is that I plan to gain further experience between now and the end of the year and then register giving me 2014, 2015 and 2016 to complete it. But how do I capture additional evidence and is it worth submitting? I have my own culling records, of course.

Any evidence of your experience helps paint a better picture of you but the important part of the portfolio is with the signed off ICR's. While the raw portfolio filled in will see you 'pass' your level 2, I like to think that it's more than just a plain exercise and additional information is better when you personally want to look back over it.

Paul,
    Thanks for that. I understood that the three signed off ICRs are the most important factor.
    My question really related to my other activity, for instance I took a fine Roe Buck yesterday and two more earlier in July. Should I write those up in a similar format? Would they be a relevant and worthwhile appendix? W/photos?
    I'm not yet registered for DSC2, but even when I am next year I will continue solo stalking each week, as well as undertaking my AW Stalks.

It would be a benefit to you yes, as in reflecting on what you did when stalking and so for preparing for L2 and being able to write up your narrative. If you read though the PC's on the ICR you can also consider how you would respond to questions relating to those areas. It's a worthwhile exercise really.

The checking of your portfolio is only concerned with the ICR's and meeting of the standards that would merit a 'pass'. I included pictures of the gralloch nodes and quality of the work to highlight what I'd done, but that was for me so that in the future when I show other candidates my portfolio they can see what was expected. The portfolio is more that just evidence to get a pass, it's your record of achievement so for you including other evidence would be rewarding for you I'm sure.

It would be a benefit to you yes, as in reflecting on what you did when stalking and so for preparing for L2 and being able to write up your narrative. If you read though the PC's on the ICR you can also consider how you would respond to questions relating to those areas. It's a worthwhile exercise really.

The portfolio is more that just evidence to get a pass, it's your record of achievement so for you including other evidence would be rewarding for you I'm sure.

Paul,
    Thanks for response. I'm now looking at this differently as a result of your answers, especially the points above.
    Thanks again

I am prepared to stand corrected but I don't think the assessors want to be sent a bundle of additional cull records all written up in DSC2 format. There is an opportunity in the front of the portfolio where you can detail your experience and rough number of deer culled. It would be a benefit to you to keep a record or diary or your own stalks/culls and to include an example of this in your portfolio. When I did mine I included an example of a female and male cull record card that I fill out for every deer I cull for the deer management organisation I am a member of.

.....just re-read pauls post and I think he is saying roughly the same thing
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 24-07-2013 at 13:08.

Do an excell spreadsheet on your computer as a cull report. This details everything,dates,times,weather,sex etc. Very easy and neat and easy to include in your assessment portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by roe2506 View Post
    Do an excell spreadsheet on your computer as a cull report. This details everything,dates,times,weather,sex etc. Very easy and neat and easy to include in your assessment portfolio.
    ​Many thanks, that would seem like an appropriate solution.

The assessor s don't want any extra papers and in particular pictures,it could be any one ,stick to the 3 and don't bother with others,I'm an aw and we were told this at last meeting we went to.
    Last edited by redstag01; 25-07-2013 at 11:13. Reason: Not finished

yeh but it's the candidates portfolio, it's very true that there's no gold stars but the assessors can put up with a little sorting, after all they take long enough