My new moderator

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I have just recently acquired my second Titanium piece of kit, although I have had one piece for years I have never seen it. Probably because not many people get to see their knee replacement, however I have my latest acquisition is a Lawrence Precision Nexus Moderator in 7x57.
This to replace my T8, well not to replace it but to work alongside it on another rifle a dedicated moderator for my 7x57 and 6.5x55. I should make it clear that the extent of my test equipment is of the human variety, that is to say the Mk1 eyeball, nose and ear, combined with a sense of touch all wrapped up in perception, my perception. So if you are expecting me to quote facts and figures you will be disappointed as all you will get is my personal opinion based on my own perception.
Let me say right from the off that over the years I have had many T8’s, now I know they are not the lightest moderator out there, the latest is an improvement over the original, but I have always found them to be excellent and have never had one rust on me. When you hold the two together it is quite obvious that the Lawrence is considerably lighter than the T8, and of smaller diameter. What is also noticeable is that the texture of the two is entirely different, nothing to do with the efficiency and performance I know but it is noticeable. The Lawrence Precision is smooth and as stupid as it sounds it feels “quality” a bit like when you get into an upmarket car and you get a feeling of promise, this is going to do well, that sort of feeling.

I had to re zero the scope on my 6.5 so a chance to compare both moderators on the same rifle. First up was the T8 a couple of shots on a 50 yard target to get it on the bull, the swung it around to the 150 yard metal plate target we have just to make sure that all was well at that range, it was so it was time to switch moderators. I just used the same 150 yard target and to my amazement found the POI to be the same, I was quite expecting it to be different but no, so that is handy to know in respect of my 6.5, if it will be the same on my 7x57 I have no idea. As to the noise and the recoil reduction, to me there was no difference.
So, in conclusion is the Lawrence any quieter than the T8, well to my ears I could make out no difference between the two of them, recoil? No difference to me. So where is the difference, the T8 will one day wear out and need replacing that is for sure, the Lawrence will not that also is for sure. The Lawrence is smaller and lighter but it is more expensive, £595 +P&P, but when you consider that it will not have to be replaced then the initial expense becomes more sensible.
The bottom line is do you want to have a quality bit of kit, that will last a lifetime or do you want to have to replace your choice on a fairly regular basis. If it was a scope you were talking about then everyone, well almost everyone, agrees that buying the best you can makes sense, why not the same with moderators, and in this instance I think that the Lawrence is the best deal out there.

John

John, don't think you will experience the heat issues, as I believe you are not interested in chucking large round counts down a range, I found Alex's Lawrence, to still have enough heat in it for preparing coffee/bacon & eggs, long after I would have wanted to pack it away!:eek:... would it prevent me from purchasing one?, No, top quality item.

Hats on and await the incoming ordnance ! :lol:

Bring it on, but it had better be civil and constructive :evil:

John, don't think you will experience the heat issues, as I believe you are not interested in chucking large round counts down a range, I found Alex's Lawrence, to still have enough heat in it for preparing coffee/bacon & eggs, long after I would have wanted to pack it away!:eek:... would it prevent me from purchasing one?, No, top quality item.

Your right Steve, I don't do a lot of range work so I will not experience your breakfast moment, I'll never know how you keep so slim :D

John

Titanium mods are more durable than Aluminium so you have to look beyond the initial outlay, and you don't have the hassle of having to do a 1 for 1 variation for your worn out one. atb Tim

The Atec Maxim is Aluminium with steel baffles. It is half the price and weighs less, and you are not going to burn it out in a hurry.

A client of mine has a LP and I was not impressed with it, he is coming back on Saturday so I can have another look.

​Over priced and over rated imo.

The Atec Maxim is Aluminium with steel baffles. It is half the price and weighs less, and you are not going to burn it out in a hurry.

A client of mine has a LP and I was not impressed with it, he is coming back on Saturday so I can have another look.

​Over priced and over rated imo.

Anyone killed a maxim? I have one myself and think its great. Just wondering if it is as durable as I hope?

Your Atec may indeed not burn out in a hurry, but my LP will not burn out at all, and if it did it is backed by LP's lifetime warranty ! :thumb:

I feel sure that the Atec is a good product but after hearing about damaging mods by firing a lot of shots and gas cutting being worse with Ballistic Tips the LP suited my circumstances best.

atb Tim

Is it not always ? One thing you can be sure of is that you won't get abusive PM's !

I have had abusive PM's but that has usually been their last input into the site. The PM facility is not there for members to abuse others and thinking they are keeping it off the site, and if this does happen just let me or either of my colleagues know and the abuser will be dealt with, no fuss no publicity but they will be dealt with. There is no room on this site for those who wish to send abuse/threats etc by PM, just let us know and they will not be here for long.

We shall of course require a copy of the relevant PM, it will need more than just finger pointing.

John

nice looking mod john, good choice, it's aesthetically pleasing too, which is quite important if you have a decent looking setup to put it on. the T8 is just an eyesore of course.

did you pay for the LP with the diesel savings you made moving from Pajero to Cherokee? LOL?...

personally, I was strictly against moderators, then I got one and liked it, now I'm moving away from them again, IMHO, nothing they do is worth the way they ruin the look of a fine firearm, I'm sure those with impaired hearing will disagree, but the look of a fine walnut stock, oil finished 22 LPI wrap around point checkering, melded rails, and a rust blued cut barrel in a mauser action with Apel mounts and a gloss black scope...just cannot/must not be desttroyed by a moderator..esp. if it's a in 257 or 7.57 then you're just making the firearm gods angry! LOL

That does look like a compact mod, but like PKL I got one but wont use it again, so it will be on here for sale soon.
I was surprised that it was plus p&p, for that price I would have thought it could have been absorbed into the price?
I suppose RFD charge a fair bit on handling?
Cheers
Richard

I know the LP is expensive but according to the hype will last a life time - so was the intention of the Titanic. lol

Know only a little about these mods - for this money, are the threads interchangeable? reason I ask is that my (much maligned) Wildcat is now 14 years old, has interchangeable thread add ons for my 1/2" and 2 @ 18x1 barrels and if mine fell to pieces tomorrow - simple maths dictates for the price of an LP I could buy 3 more Wildcats which would last 40 + years which could be most shooter's lifetimes. I'm not a cheapskate - I also have (much maligned !!) two Blasers !

Or is it that I like to tinker with my mod and be able to strip it down to its 6 sections and have the power to be able to give it a clean/inspection and not just a squirt of WD 40 and hope all is well?

NB - this is not intended to be abusive! - just my opinion and experience.

Back