Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S.o.r

Account Suspended

S.o.r

Hello

Can some one maybe shed a little light here .Maybe your own personal views or maybe a legal know all ..

If you were approached by someone wanting shooting rights & after a few initial checks ( Its a must these days) you have solid pooof they are on the S.O.R .
    Would you permit them own a shotgun or firearm to shoot over your land ??

I had such request from a person. Obviously unknown to them , I have there details of where / when / what etc ... Thank you

That's a tough one.

Personal View - but for mr it would depend on the severity of the offence and recency.

That's about the only thing left these days that we are allowed to discriminate against....

I couldn't on principal
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

What does S.O.R. mean ?

I wouldn't think that you are referring to the Society of Radiographers.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

sex offenders register
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I think it's a subject where it's easy to fall into a Daily Mail rant of 'Hang 'em all', but as is often in life there are shades of grey, nuances and subtleties.
    if one imagines a spectrum of offences then at one end there are child rapists and so on (who I would happily see hang personally), but as I understand it, at the other there are people who have been placed on the S.O.R for more minor crimes. Think of the sixteen year old boy and his fifteen year old girlfriend, if they're having sex he's guilty of statutory rape and placed on the S.O.R. There are other examples such as this.
    So for the OP I would still look at severity of crime and recency.

I'm not sure on Si's point about being allowed to discriminate in this case. That is an interesting point. There are various laws preventing discrimination against people with spent convictions, but I am not a lawyer.

You would not be discriminating against a particular sector of the community that as far as I know is covered by law. Merely deciding that you would rather not sell to this particular individual.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Having had to deal with something similar I would not:

1. Because I don't want to keep company with their kind.
    2. I would not wish to have the risk of anything happening to anyone this person would gain access to should they receive the permission, my concious could not bear it.

You may wish to find other reasons for not accepting them to avoid the hassle of any repercussions or accusations of discrimination, its a strange world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Naseby View Post
    I think it's a subject where it's easy to fall into a Daily Mail rant of 'Hang 'em all', but as is often in life there are shades of grey, nuances and subtleties.
    if one imagines a spectrum of offences then at one end there are child rapists and so on (who I would happily see hang personally), but as I understand it, at the other there are people who have been placed on the S.O.R for more minor crimes. Think of the sixteen year old boy and his fifteen year old girlfriend, if they're having sex he's guilty of statutory rape and placed on the S.O.R. There are other examples such as this.
    So for the OP I would still look at severity of crime and recency.

I'm not sure on Si's point about being allowed to discriminate in this case. That is an interesting point. There are various laws preventing discrimination against people with spent convictions, but I am not a lawyer.

A difficult one, but I'd agree with the highlighted part of this post that points out looking before leaping is a good move

Quote Originally Posted by Naseby View Post
    Our family farm is also a riding school, with lots of young girls about the place. All employees or anyone wanting regular access needs to be CRB checked. Obviously it's not possible to check everyone who comes onto the premises but we would not knowingly allow a known sex offender access.
    I'm sure there's probably some European Human rights law that protects offenders from discrimination but....