Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing - They Dont All Have To Be Huge!

Fishing - They Dont All Have To Be Huge!

My mates trout fishery has a great population of pike and perch, although for the last few years the perch were very scarce. Well this year they seem to be back in big numbers. We were out having a go at them on Monday and again today. We had well over 100 fish between us on Monday and probably just under that number today, and for not much more than a couple of hours fishing each day. Biggest probably 3/4lb and all caught on Greys 5'6" 2-5lb line rating spinning rods using a drop shot technique with either tiny imitation rubber fish or worms on a single hook. Great wee rods that let even small fish give you a bit of fun. Im actually going to give the rod a go for grilse later...

I had 9 fish today for 9 casts. Every single one of the fish caugt over the two days was returned to the water without harm as all seem to get hooked lightly and most through top lip the way the hook sits on the line.

It has probably been well over 20 years since I last caught a perch as these days I am normally chasing salmon or fishing for pike with the fly. I know it sounds a bit poetic but to be honest it was the stuff of boyhood dreams when we were kids. My two lads are away on a holiday just now with their grandparents and when I told them on the phone about how many we had caught they were saying they can't wait to get home to go out for a go! Took some photos on the phone but can't seem to get them onto the PC. Will take some on the camera next time out.

Also forgot just how good looking a fish the Perch is...

I totally agree. Small fish on light tackle is fun simply because the volume is likely to be higher.
    Large mouth bass off weight 5 tackle in South Africa is possibly the most fun I've ever had fishing.
    Catch with a barbless hook, release without removing from the water and cast again.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    I totally agree. Small fish on light tackle is fun simply because the volume is likely to be higher.
    Large mouth bass off weight 5 tackle in South Africa is possibly the most fun I've ever had fishing.
    Catch with a barbless hook, release without removing from the water and cast again.
    The tiny spinning reels we use are loaded up with 8lb braid which helps to feel every movement from the fish as well. The biggest he has had of the loch a few years ago was just over 4lbs. Now that would be fun on those rods!

Sounds great fun as in all sports I find the true sportsman are not in it for trophies, biggest fish or numbers in game shooting but for the love of it.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    My greatest fish in memory was a lowly 5' long wild brown trout.
    Caught in waders standing in a river in the middle of winter in deepest Wales.
    From memory it was caught with a black nymph trawling in a pool. The fish were there but they were hard to get to take anything.
    I was frozen solid but refused to give up until I had at least one, which exactly what I caught, 1.
    My wife THINKS I'm mad...........I KNOW I'm mad
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

nice to read i love my fishing and especially pike and perch as i grew up catching those.
    I spent a week in italy a few weeks ago and off with my own rod i made down the stream for whatever was available rather than lying out at the pool.

forgot my polaroids so had to stick a klink on to see the strikes on a small black knat,
    hope you are well Brian need to catch up with you shortly, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    My greatest fish in memory was a lowly 5' long wild brown trout.

I take it that's a typo?
    You can hardly describe a 5 FOOT long trout as "lowly"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post

Also forgot just how good looking a fish the Perch is...
    ​And they taste good to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    ​And they taste good to.
    ​Yep, so I hear. My mate takes the odd one for himself or his mother. he BBQ'd a couple the other day before I got there so still waiting to try them out!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post

I take it that's a typo?
    You can hardly describe a 5 FOOT long trout as "lowly"!!!!
    I have some explaining to do to the wife as there's a big difference between 5 inches and 5 foot
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama