2 fac holders in the same household

younggun22

Hi, since I met my girlfriend 4 years ago she has been out shooting with me and has now got the shooting bug, she is now at the stage where she wants to apply for her own fac but how would this work with me already having a fac in the same household legally. Kind regards kane

1. Do not let your GF have firearms. She will discover how much they 'really cost'. :-|

2. Legally. Of course your GF can apply, as anyone legally entitled can, for a FAC. There will be conditions on her FAC, like yours, as to prevent access to unauthorised persons; which include you - less the same calibre (broadly speaking).

You can 'share' a rifle, but this seems more complicated than simply having two cabinets IMHO.
Besides you're never going to give that Mauser up if you go your separate ways!:doh:

If in doubt speak to BASC and even your FLO/FEO.

It is dead easy. She puts in an application.

Does she want her own firearms or to share yours? My wife had 4 shared weapons on her FAC with me and I have one shared with another chap. I cannot let her have the keys for the cabinet as I have others she is not allowed to access.

She also has a SGC and North Yorks have no problem us sharing a shotgun cabinet and only having our own guns listed on our certs, despite many forces listing on both. If I needed her to have access to a shared gun and I was away I'd move it into the shotgun cabinet.

Just discuss it with your FEO.
They'll be able to tell you what's acceptable re: shared rifles / shared storage etc, and the fact that you all discuss it together, friendly, over a cup of tea, will count a lot in your favour.
If you go the right way about it, and create a good impression of domestic harmony, it's surprising what they'll tolerate. For example, I have SGC and FAC, but my missus only has SGC. However, we're able to store our guns in the same cabinet - my rifles and her shotguns.

Just discuss it with your FEO.
They'll be able to tell you what's acceptable re: shared rifles / shared storage etc, and the fact that you all discuss it together, friendly, over a cup of tea, will count a lot in your favour.
If you go the right way about it, and create a good impression of domestic harmony, it's surprising what they'll tolerate. For example, I have SGC and FAC, but my missus only has SGC. However, we're able to store our guns in the same cabinet - my rifles and her shotguns.

And that is allowed??????

Surely that's a statutory condition breach? Not sure how a force could exempt itself from that one.
Things have changed in NWales since Mr B retired...

We share storage. My wife is not allowed a key.

In the Firearms Security Handbook it talks of trigger locks or cables to prevent a shared user removing and firing guns they don't have authority to posses.

First, at risk ( again ) of harping on about things - well done! :tiphat:

Written before about how collectively 'we' seem determined to put off half the population from shooting sports. I can appreciate those that want a break from other halves etc, but 'we' do seem to do a great job of alienating females ( voting females at that! ). Hence the well done.

Of cost the real cost issue ( as noted above ) is a concern! :D Easy fix - just make sure she gets the most expensive kit :D:D

As stated - discuss with your FEO. There is no hurdle or real issue. Administratively - for you - much better to have all items on both tickets. Police usually quite happy with this as they aren't actually looking at a material increase in numbers held.

Headaches come when different rifles etc owned - whilst common sense says a joint cabinet should work, the law is pretty clear and you have to go through various hoops to avoid 'illegal possession'.

It is dead easy. She puts in an application.

Does she want her own firearms or to share yours? My wife had 4 shared weapons on her FAC with me and I have one shared with another chap. I cannot let her have the keys for the cabinet as I have others she is not allowed to access.

She also has a SGC and North Yorks have no problem us sharing a shotgun cabinet and only having our own guns listed on our certs, despite many forces listing on both. If I needed her to have access to a shared gun and I was away I'd move it into the shotgun cabinet.

Yup. +1

Frau Klunk and myself in same situation. Both FAC and SGC holders. Separate cabinets, and where shared firearms access is required, they are listed on both tickets. She is denied access to non-shared items, obviously.

My partner and I both have FAC we were advised that we could have used wire ropes on our individual guns, but decided to purchase separate
cabinets, to save awkward questions from the FEO. When both cabinets were bolted to the wall and inspected the matter was closed. We are now
treated as separate,she has her rifles. I have mine.

Back