Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any other calibre that is so consistent for Rabbit control

Is there any other calibre that is so consistent for Rabbit control

.22 LR must be the most iconic and probably the most fired round / calibre anywhere, the past few weeks I have been out rabbiting virtually every evening using the LR from 30 to 110 yds it is faultless as a rabbit round and I use CCI segmented rounds all the time, little higher FPS to some rounds but still fantastically accurate

This calibre is surely insurpassable as a perfect rabbit round! I used the 17 HMR for couple of years but the LR is still tops

Is there anything better.

.577/450 Martini Henry over open sights.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Charadam. In a word Any carcase damage.

​With that fantastic rifle and calibre, have only ever seen one.

Phil

No carcase damage to speak of.

​I aim about 4 feet in front of a running rabbit which falls into the bullet crater and breaks its neck.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

My .223 consistently turned hedge hoppers into red mist...sniping bunnies with that was a whole lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    .22 LR must be the most iconic and probably the most fired round / calibre anywhere, the past few weeks I have been out rabbiting virtually every evening using the LR from 30 to 110 yds it is faultless as a rabbit round and I use CCI segmented rounds all the time, little higher FPS to some rounds but still fantastically accurate

This calibre is surely insurpassable as a perfect rabbit round! I used the 17 HMR for couple of years but the LR is still tops

Is there anything better.

I doubt it!

I too love the combination of .22LR and CCI segmented.

Do the segmented rounds ricochet? If there is one thing I dislike about .22rf it is having bullets bouncing around the countryside in a totally random manner. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Do the segmented rounds ricochet? If there is one thing I dislike about .22rf it is having bullets bouncing around the countryside in a totally random manner. atb Tim
    Yes I agree, that's one reason I started sniping bunnies with the .223. Nice and safe...not for bunnies though!

​Always had a 22lr always will I guess.

Charadam. Perfic get dew ponds for frogs as we'll, how green is that.

I have had two ricochets from thousands of rounds spent on the segmented rounds one went into a bank and the other, a part of the round into a large tree in front of a high bank 6 feet away from the rabbit, they do break up, so I guess a bit is better than a full 40 grm round
    I expect the higher FPS with segmented is the key to terminal energy displacement and bullet split, overall not a bad round

They are a cracking bunny bashing round, in the CZ or the Sako

Phil
    Last edited by philip; 25-07-2013 at 19:53.

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    No carcase damage to speak of.

​I aim about 4 feet in front of a running rabbit which falls into the bullet crater and breaks its neck.
    ​How can you see for all the smoke!?