Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boiling heads - won't leave it so long next time

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Boiling heads - won't leave it so long next time

Well, I finally had to give in to all the comments such as "there's no room in the freezer", "when are you going to sort them out" and "I am going to turn the freezer off if you don't do something about those d*mned heads".

So on Sunday I had (for me) a mammoth head boiling session, removing four heads from the freezer plus the one I'd shot that morning, setting the boiling pan on the gas ring and digging out the roe head cutting jig.

Here's the result:

The one on the right is the buck from Sunday morning.

Those of you paying attention will have noticed that there are only four heads shown - the fifth was another antlered doe but with only bumps rather than actual antlers, so that one I decided to ditch. You'll also have seen that the jig needs a bit of adjustment

The antlered doe I will keep for my next talk on deer, the others will probably re-appear as walking sticks, key-rings or somesuch.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

how did you manage to get a different line for each one you cut???? were you experimenting to see which looked the best

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    how did you manage to get a different line for each one you cut???? were you experimenting to see which looked the best
    Frustration, boredom, blunt saw, poor quality Bushwear roe head cutting jig.....take your pick

willie_gunn

Nice one - but why do you bother boiling the heads if they end up as keyrings?

I left my best head in the conservatory to dry.
    my cocker spaniel sniffed it out and chewed it up !!
    ​the little t**t

Quote Originally Posted by Boghossian View Post
    Nice one - but why do you bother boiling the heads if they end up as keyrings?
    A good question!

A couple of them I might keep entire - for example the better of the bucks - though these days I only have one or two "special" heads on the wall and the rest in the garage. The antlered doe I will use when giving talks on deer.

Alternatively I may just decide to sell the buck skulls, in which case I would prefer to sell them as "heads" rather than just antlers, and once the antlers are cut off there's no going back

Roe antlers don't seem as versatile as the other species when it comes to re-using, or at least I have not found a good use for them. I have seen whistles and roe calls made from roe antlers, but I haven't figured out how to do these myself yet. Apart from the occasional one, roe antlers don't lend themselves to knife scales, thumb sticks, etc.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone with alternative uses though.

willie_gunn

Quote Originally Posted by Grant.N View Post
    I left my best head in the conservatory to dry.
    my cocker spaniel sniffed it out and chewed it up !!
    ​the little t**t
    One of our labradors was walking around the kitchen and I saw a tiny bit of something sticking out of the corner of its mouth - the little b*stard had grabbed one of my muntjac antler keyrings off the kitchen table and was chewing it. Fortunately no damage done to keyring or labrador Reminds me of the time the older labrador had a bit of fur showing from its mouth. I grabbed it and a whole (but decaying) rabbit came out. It was like a magician's trick.

willie_gunn

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    A good question!

A couple of them I might keep entire - for example the better of the bucks - though these days I only have one or two "special" heads on the wall and the rest in the garage. The antlered doe I will use when giving talks on deer.

Alternatively I may just decide to sell the buck skulls, in which case I would prefer to sell them as "heads" rather than just antlers, and once the antlers are cut off there's no going back

Roe antlers don't seem as versatile as the other species when it comes to re-using, or at least I have not found a good use for them. I have seen whistles and roe calls made from roe antlers, but I haven't figured out how to do these myself yet. Apart from the occasional one, roe antlers don't lend themselves to knife scales, thumb sticks, etc.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone with alternative uses though.

willie_gunn
    I turned some into bottle openers from i'm sure a link you posted for sgian dubh blades, had a look and saw some bottle opener tops.[IMG][/IMG]

Moose

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I turned some into bottle openers from i'm sure a link you posted for sgian dubh blades, had a look and saw some bottle opener tops.

Moose
    Nice work!

I think it was Loch Ness Origins (http://www.lochnessorigins.com/). I made one up using a piece of red antler stag, but haven't tried roe yet. Sadly we must have cleared them out of bottle openers as they've disappeared from their website

willie_gunn

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Nice work!

I think it was Loch Ness Origins (http://www.lochnessorigins.com/). I made one up using a piece of red antler stag, but haven't tried roe yet. Sadly we must have cleared them out of bottle openers as they've disappeared from their website

willie_gunn
    Damn i was going to get some more, as i gave those ones away.

​Moose