Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking

Smoking

I have recently been experimenting with hot smoking of mackerel, salmon and chicken on a home made smoker - results not bad, edible without any ill effects?

Anyone out there smokes venison and if so any tips on brining, dry rubs, temp, time etc. Next roe buck will in part, end up on the smoker.

​Many thanks.

Do not use chippings or sawdust from pine as it poisonous, I use a 50 – 50 mix of beech and oak. If you are using chippings or dust from a saw make sure it is not a lubricated like a chainsaw or it will have oil in it. .
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

At work they're chucking out some 6'x3' steel lockers. Do you think one of these could be used as a hot smoker?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    Do not use chippings or sawdust from pine as it poisonous, I use a 50 – 50 mix of beech and oak. If you are using chippings or dust from a saw make sure it is not a lubricated like a chainsaw or it will have oil in it. .
    Mmmm, if you go to Norway and Sweden its what they use. It's called using your local resources. I wouldn't personally use it as its quite bitter and I have the choice of many timbers in my yard! If you cold smoke it is less likely to become unpalatable!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    At work they're chucking out some 6'x3' steel lockers. Do you think one of these could be used as a hot smoker?
    Harry almost anything can be used to hot smoke. You just need a fire chamber and you harness the smoke. You could drill holes in the bottom or insert pipes to allow the fire to breath. Galvanised metal should not be used! A good book to get is Keith Erlandson smoking and curing.

have to agree on the erlandson book, but a lot is trial and error, I only cold smoke, so cook the venison after. I use beech or oak from our timber mill, the smoker is a plywood box, mainly because it's easy to put shelves in, metal boxes can have problems with condensation.

In Finland we use a steel container over a campfire. So the chippings (mostly alder, maybe a hint of juniper) are placed in the bottom of container and the fish or meat above them on wire trays (sp?). I've never used anybody using pine, and wouldn't do it either (not questioning whether done in Sweden or Norway).

Newer designs use electricity for heating, mostly targeted for suburb users I guess. I have a small electric heater to use for cold smoking, though (avoids the setup for cooling the smoke, since it's not too warm to begin with).

I use my weber bbq, have a look at there range there not to expensive.

Never heard of anybody smoking with pine. You would get a better result useing an old car tyre. Plenty of good hard wood to use here. Oak, beech, alder and as jthyttin said , a hint of juniper.

Interesting info on the do's & dont's of particular wood types, I am interested as to the workings of smoking foods, how does it "cure" or cook stuff? I understand about salt curing / air drying.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!