Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad day... SAS man Danny Nightingale sentenced for gun possession

Sad day... SAS man Danny Nightingale sentenced for gun possession

Why sad? he did the crime - to the letter of the law and therfore he now faces the music - just because someone is armed forces does not mean they have immunity....

Regards,

Gixer

Each to there own, my personal feelings are that outcome of the case does not sit right with me. Not suggesting immunity for armed forces, just that when you look at the detail and circumstances it becomes a lot more complicated. But as i said, each to their own.

Suspended sentence! Hardly a sad day as anyone else would have got 5 years minumum. At the end of the day he still has to abide by the law regardless of his heroic past.

A 2-year sentence ..... suspended for 12 months. What does that mean?

Each twist and turn of this farrago is more laughable than the one before. Is the MOD hoping public opinion will come riding to the rescue again? Or will this sentence be quietly commuted as soon as it drops out of the media coverage?
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

A suspended sentence? I think quite a lot of people will think that the sentence does take into account his armed forces status! If a police search found a handgun and pile of ammunition in anybody else's house, it would have been without doubt at least partly a custodial sentence.

I don't think he can complain at all. However he will now find life harder with this conviction, so good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by joelewis055 View Post
    Each to there own, my personal feelings are that outcome of the case does not sit right with me. Not suggesting immunity for armed forces, just that when you look at the detail and circumstances it becomes a lot more complicated. But as i said, each to their own.
    Yup, I don't doubt he's probably a nice enough guy but if anyone else was found to be in possesion of a pistol we'd have probably got a lot longer, also i doubt the credibility of iraq forces giving a uk soldier an austrian pistol as a gift??? c'mon - hardly a rare or special pistol to give is it? you can rent one in most rtanges in the USA and most people serving would say "thanks but no" if someone offered to give them a firearm of some sort.

and the brain injury defence also did him more harm than good in my opinion, if this had been say, an irishman who servied in northern irealand would you have the same opinion?

Regards,

Gixer

the whole thing stinks in my mind ,two identical pistols made in the same factory in the same year found in the same house one belonging to someone who has already been jailed the other the defendant claims no memory of ,all vey suss, i just hope he's not a vengeful fella or someone is in for a spot of bother in the future
    a barony original

Quote Originally Posted by joelewis055 View Post
    Nothing sad about it at all IMO. He got off lightly. The detail and circumstances are not complicated at all.

He acquired an illegal firearm and ammunition, he used the armed forces equipment transport system to enable him to bring them into the country, he then kept them in his possession. Someone who knew he had them dobbed him in. He tried to use his military service as an excuse and as a means of garnishing public sympathy. It failed! What it has got him is a non custodial sentence and a criminal record. A fair trade in IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by landkeeper View Post
    the whole thing stinks in my mind ,two identical pistols made in the same factory in the same year found in the same house one belonging to someone who has already been jailed the other the defendant claims no memory of ,all vey suss, i just hope he's not a vengeful fella or someone is in for a spot of bother in the future
    I agree. There's a bad smell about the whole thing. Doubt we've heard the last of this.