Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compound archery bow owners in Devon?

Compound archery bow owners in Devon?

As per title, I would like to try a compound bow, I have used a recurve before but don't know anyone who owns a recurve locally.
    I was given an email contact but he didn't get back to me.
    This is initially to see if it appeals to me and if I am actually any good at it.
    If it does I will investigate returning to Montana one day and try to get the elusive Elk during the rut that I failed to connect with in 2012 with my rifle.
    So is there anyone who would be kind enough to let me experience this?
    pm me if necessary.
    Many thanks
    Richard

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    Evening Richard

There shouldnt be any need for this to get all shouty and flame-mail because you mentioned 'b*w' in your post title

Have a google for your local archery pro shop and ask if you can try a few bows (you will need to determine your draw length before anything else).
    You might also want to check out the National Field Archery Society website for your nearest club http://www.nfas.net/index.asp
    There are clubs at Tavistock, Ashcombe Valley and Bicton.
    PM me if you wish.
    Regards
    Kenneth
    (I am a Full Senior Member of the NFAS, shooting Compound Unlimited)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South West NFAS clubs.jpg  

Oh oh, you said the b word !

Quote Originally Posted by KBar1970 View Post
    Evening Richard

There shouldnt be any need for this to get all shouty and flame-mail because you mentioned 'b*w' in your post title

Have a google for your local archery pro shop and ask if you can try a few bows (you will need to determine your draw length before anything else).
    You might also want to check out the National Field Archery Society website for your nearest club http://www.nfas.net/index.asp
    There are clubs at Tavistock, Ashcombe Valley and Bicton.
    PM me if you wish.
    Regards
    Kenneth
    (I am a Full Senior Member of the NFAS, shooting Compound Unlimited)
    Many thanks Kenneth, I will look into it, I have found a shop at Honiton that might let me look/try some bows out, failing that Ashcombe isn't very far from me.
    Cheers
    Richard

The shop in Honiton is Quicks - they don't sell second hand & I don't think they have a try it out facility. Not very customer friendly either unless you have loads of dosh to throw their way - customer service not good (was in there last year).
    I can understand them not letting folks try out new bows though - too easy to damage one by mishandling.
    Probably the best way to try out a bow would be to through one of the local archery clubs - I think there is a branch of the NFAS in Exemouth area. They will shoot hunting style compounds which are set up very different to the strictly target ones.

​Ian

Thanks Ian, if I do go down this route I wouldn't buy second hand, I have a friend in the states who could post one over if I asked him, I don't have loads of dosh so probably wont visit them in that case.
    Cheers
    Richard

People can be very funny about letting other shoot their bows.

I am one of those .

The reason being is someone picked it up and dry fired it, the next time I shot an arrow the bow exploded into about 100 different parts.

Your best bet is to get to a shop and get them to measure you up. Draw length is very important on a compound bow as if it is to long you wont hit the wall and it can be difficult to get to grips with.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    People can be very funny about letting other shoot their bows.

I am one of those .
    I understand that, my clients will never get their hands on my Sage rods, they have to use the rods I sell and if I get really stuck then its Orvis.

Regarding draw length, I have read and looked on youtube and come up with 27.5 inches.
    But until I get a bow in my hands I guess I won't know for sure.
    Cheers
    Richard

getting your draw length measured by someone who knows what they are doing is the most important thing to start with.There is a much diversity in compound bows with limb length, draw weight and cam design as there are calibres ,bullet weights and twists in rifles lol . most compounds these days have some length adjustment in the cams, so there will be a bit of leeway there , buy yourself a 2nd hand good quality bow of 40-50lb draw weight and practise with it, get used to how it shoots .most compounds work best within 10% of their maximum draw weight so you are better to go lower poundage and work at it's upper limit than visaversa.Don't overbow yourself to start with or buy something with hair trigger cams It will spoil the enjoyment of learning ,your body will soon become accustomed to the weight of draw, as you get fitter you will find you can shoot more poundage then i would consider buying a new up to date bow that you like and suits your purpose . i have seen more folk put off buy buying too much bow to start with than nearly any other reason
    Last edited by landkeeper; 26-07-2013 at 18:01.
    a barony original

Rich,

Come on over any time & you can have a play.

Bows are great!

Quicks have very little kit suited to bow hunting - but Honiton shop has an indoor range upstairs.

Rgds

IanF
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training,
    DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062