Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough roe buck.

Tough roe buck.

Hit a roe buck at 157metres with a 100gn Winchester. Shot placement was good. Buck ran about 30 meters and keeled over. Good buck but entry point was obvious but no exit and no fragmentation damage on the rib cage. Lungs were minced and diaphragm burst but luckily gut sack was in tact. Might find the bullet when I butcher it. I expected a through shot. It did clip the rib on entry but where it went I have no idea.

Ive always used ballistic tips and never ruptured diaphram, for me it sounds shot taken at wrong angle or shot placement too far back,, ive shot 100s of roe with 85gr nos bal tips in my 25 06 and never once had this, bullet always exits, you may have used a poorly made bullet, who knows, rupturee diaphram is not good though, atb swaro

If you did clip the rib you might have reflected the bullet, and it might turn up in the carcass, I've done the same and found it later, spread like a mushroom.

I changed to SP after too many unpredictable BT results, the slightly more accurate results were not worth it. I had one bullet split with significant damage and another do a 90 degree turn after entering the perfect broadside behind the shoulder and exit though a haunch!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Hit a roe buck at 157metres with a 100gn Winchester.
    Sorry, but, "a 100gn Winchester" what?

Calibre? Bullet type?

Ive shot many many Roe with 100g soft point in .243 and only ever (as far as I can remember) had 2 cases where the bullet did not exit. One was stopped by spine and the other ended up fragmented and stopped by outermost shoulder blade.
    IMHO there is no real need for ballistic tips for Roe...but as I say...just my opinion.
    Use what you have confidence in !
    ATB

CVK
    PS: Hard hitting round for Roe and they usually drop on the spot. If they do run its never very far.
    Last edited by craigievarkiller; 26-07-2013 at 08:35.

Just skinned the buck. The soft point was under the skin in the rear right haunch. It had to deflect right down the underside of the spine, damaging the saddle fillet then hrough the haunch to the rear.

Glad someone else has had this happen although I wouldn't wish it.

I shot a roe last year with 100gr Winchester XP in .243 which was only very slightly quartering with head nearest me at around 100 yds. The buck went down to the shot but was still just alive after a couple of minutes so I moved in to finish the job. Once that was done I looked for the shot placement. I did pull the shot slightly back by about 2 inches but thought this would still have done the job. Looked everywhere for an exit wound and found nothing. Opened it up and as expected was a liver shot but still no signs of an exit wound in the cavity.

It was only when I skinned it out that I found that the bullet had broken a rib, turned about 80 degrees and passed through the animal and out of the opposite side haunch with only a tiny hole to show me where it had been.

It amazes me that a projectile travelling at such speed can deflect like that.

Shot one quartering toward last week. Bullet (Federal 100gr soft point) went in just in front of the shoulder (in the 'armpit'), deflected up into the spine, then down again and bounced along the inside of the ribs before stopping just through the diaphragm. Animal dropped on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Ive always used ballistic tips and never ruptured diaphram, for me it sounds shot taken at wrong angle or shot placement too far back,, ive shot 100s of roe with 85gr nos bal tips in my 25 06 and never once had this, bullet always exits, you may have used a poorly made bullet, who knows, rupturee diaphram is not good though, atb swaro

Rubbish! the bullet most certainly does not "Always" exit, and there is no way you can say a shot was wrongly placed or too far back from the O.P's comments, correct placement (for heart and lung) puts your shot bang on where there are ribs and if you go and do some reading and research on roe deer skeletal structure you will see that a roe deer's forward most (or frontal) ribs are actually wider and "fanned" out, these ribs can easily deflect a bullet and this could be enough to direct it to the opposite side shoulder, spine, sternum which again could prevent the bullet exiting the carcass.

Bare in mind most people have seen bullets deflected by small branches or even grass so a bone would most certainly be capable of sapping the energy.

Regards,
    Gixer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roe-3035.jpg