Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bbq fallow haunch

Bbq fallow haunch

Hi All we are having a bbq this weekend and as we have plenty of venison in the freezer was wondering how it cooks on a bbq,
    so any advise on marinades, cooking time etc would be welcomed.
    cheers geoff

Hello Geoffrey.

Here's how I barbecue roe haunch: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ied-roe-haunch

I daresay you just need to increase the cooking time for fallow.

I'd start it off wrapped in tin foil with some mixed herbs, then brown it off at the end.... or it will just burn on the outside
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

If you have a sirloin ,slice it long ways as thin as you can get it ,thinner the better, marinade in olive oil , garlic . black pepper & teriyaki sauce , it only needs a few minutes, on to a hot bbq for less than a minute turning all the time , serve in warm pitter bread with salad ...I've just boned a roe haunch , butterfly it( basically open it out ) that will go on whole , last one took about half an hour turning every 5 min or so .Done the same with a fallow just took a bit longer ....
    Last edited by highseat6.5; 26-07-2013 at 18:26.

Butterfly it so that it's a flat slab of meat roughly the same thickness everywhere, season it well, and chuck it on the barbie. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature regularly. When it gets to 65 centigrade it's done perfectly. Rest it for 10 mins or so, carve and serve. The inside will be still slightly pink and very juicy, and the outside will have lovely caramelised burnt bits, so something for everybody. It's as close as you'll get to drinking meat.

I haven't had the opportunity, as yet, to BBQ any venison, but hope to do so after I get over there. My wife has a fantastic marinade with Masadonia Red Wine that enhances the gamie taste and I will start with that and work my way out to a perfect mixture. Only thing is, I have to get over there first - 339 days.

Thanks for all your unfo, i will give it a try cheers geoff

Hi All just a little update on the venison bbq, I cut the haunce into steaks and put them into a marinade of, red wine, lemonade, cassis (blackcurrent liquer) one clove of garlic, juniper burries, thyme, salt and pepper, pricked the steaks to allow the marinade to soak into the meat and left in the fridge overnight, used a normal bbq covered the grill with tin foil, placed the steaks on the foil and cooked for a few minutes, removed the foil and finished the off on the grilled quickly both sides. The result was a very tasty venison steak tender and moist and pink inside. give it a go.
    cheers geoff

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    Hi All just a little update on the venison bbq, I cut the haunce into steaks and put them into a marinade of, red wine, lemonade, cassis (blackcurrent liquer) one clove of garlic, juniper burries, thyme, salt and pepper, pricked the steaks to allow the marinade to soak into the meat and left in the fridge overnight, used a normal bbq covered the grill with tin foil, placed the steaks on the foil and cooked for a few minutes, removed the foil and finished the off on the grilled quickly both sides. The result was a very tasty venison steak tender and moist and pink inside. give it a go.
    cheers geoff
    Mmmm I have a fallow haunch left in the freezer sounds cracking, as do the other recipes!! Better get it sorted before the weather turns to *****!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I think I would cheat!
    Cook it in my AGA and finish it off on the barbecue.
    Safer that way