Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one have a 270 in the south west

Any one have a 270 in the south west

Hi all. Basically I am looking to buy a 270. Iv been a little put off by the people saying it has bad recoil. I'd like to have a few shots with one before I make my mind up. I'm happy to buy a box of ammo or whatever to say thankyou. Thanks Tomm

give me a bell tom i will give you a number of someone who had one for sale Mcmillan stock stainless barrel he may still have it if so i am sure he would let you have a go on it

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    Hi all. Basically I am looking to buy a 270. Iv been a little put off by the people saying it has bad recoil. I'd like to have a few shots with one before I make my mind up. I'm happy to buy a box of ammo or whatever to say thankyou. Thanks Tomm
    Fitted with a mod the recoil's not to bad, shot one whilst zeroing once with no mod fitted and felt it in my shoulder the next day

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    Tom
    I have shot Capreolus' .270 - its a pussycat really, instead of a thump, its a gentle push. Could be that the ammo he was putting in it was hand loaded 130gr softpoints and slow burn or something but it wasn't bad at all. Try one if you can - see for yourself
    Hope this helps
    ​Andrew

​PS. It had no mod
    Last edited by seprim; 26-07-2013 at 12:38. Reason: add a bit of info

SD Regular
    Tomm,

I can only urge you to take the 'bad recoil' statement with a pinch of salt. I think it stems from days gone by when moderators were new fangled things. While the 270 does have a bit of a bark unmoderated, it is still an excellent calibre to own. It is easy to load across a variety of bullet weights and it is more than possible to hold the sight picture when discharging - and easier still with a moderator which helps to soften the muzzle flip. I don't think a calibre would have been as well adopted as this has been if it was difficult to shoot.

Can I ask why you are so set on it if you're unsure of the 'bite'?
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

im no expert i have fired few shots out of a .308,.243 and took a notion for a .270. I read through different forums and threads and it was the same old craic that the .270 has a serious recoil, well i bought myself a howa .270 and the recoil is nothing to be afraid of! i shoot it with no mod and the recoil is not bad, i dont know what all the fuss is about regarding the recoil.

I have used a .270 unmoderated on driven Boar and didnt notice any significant difference to my usual stalking set up(moderated .308)...........same as all things I reckon,if you were down the range squeezing off 100 rounds it may get to you but usual hunting use I wouldnt be afraid of having one.......

Andy i don't know what you were shooting, but I shoot a270 bsa at the range, without a mod, the recoil is nothing worse tha a 243.

The .270 is brilliant, I have had mine threaded and a T8 moderator fitted for the sake of my hearing and it has softened it up less recoil and muzzle flip, I would recommend one.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Andy i don't know what you were shooting, but I shoot a270 bsa at the range, without a mod, the recoil is nothing worse tha a 243.
    I forget the make of the .270 but it had a hard butt plate fitted, my .243 rem 700 has a recoil pad, must have softened me up a bit