6.5 x 55 advise

chris .222

Just got a 6.5 x 55 on my ticket I really like the new browning x-bolt varmint grs but doesn't have a set trigger can anyone advise if I could get one as I've heard the triggers are very heavy or do I forget that and go for a tikka t3 which can have a set trigger for another £200 and get a custom stock on that ?
the other thing is I intend to have this for a while and the browning is heavy and I would like to go stalking in scotland
and possible my mate might sell his sauer 202 outback extreme
​so really unsure
thanks

The browning and the tikka are ok, but the sauer is a cut above the other two by a long way! (And I own a T3 and a sauer so am not biased)

although the price will no doubt reflect this.

regards,
​gixer

the barrel on that sauer is ruined , ask Steve Bowers , the rifling looked like a hacksaw blade 4 years ago . Get the tikka , speak to Steve about working on it , i'll give you his number . I wouldnt buy a rifle that was taken out of the stock , the barrel and action pressure washed on the patio , the stock cleaned in a dishwasher then its all WD 40ed and put back together as a regular cleaning routine . Good gun , but its been abused and needs a new barrel

the barrel on that sauer is ruined , ask Steve Bowers , the rifling looked like a hacksaw blade 4 years ago . Get the tikka , speak to Steve about working on it , i'll give you his number . I wouldnt buy a rifle that was taken out of the stock , the barrel and action pressure washed on the patio , the stock cleaned in a dishwasher then its all WD 40ed and put back together as a regular cleaning routine . Good gun , but its been abused and needs a new barrel

Seriously??? Should be used as a fire poker this Winter if that's what's been done to it!

'kin 'ell!!:eek:

Buy what you can run to in money, tikka are a good rifle, very reliable and accurate, better to buy new, at least you know what you are getting.

Wouldn't buy a CF rifle with history, new barrels are not cheap and what's to say the rest is 100%

6.5 is a brilliant all round calibre

Atb
Phil

I had a RWS Titan 6 s/s for a while in 6.5x55. Fantastic bit of kit for similar money as the tikka, just felt better in the hands than the tikka. They definetly have a set trigger option.

Cheers. Matt.

You can always get the single trigger re-adjusted to your liking, (if it can) I've a set trigger on one of my rifles,and to be honest, I don't like it and never used it, as you only have to breathe on it and she goes off, (tried to get it set heavier without success)

​M

Just got a 6.5 x 55 on my ticket I really like the new browning x-bolt varmint grs but doesn't have a set trigger can anyone advise if I could get one as I've heard the triggers are very heavy or do I forget that and go for a tikka t3 which can have a set trigger for another £200 and get a custom stock on that ?
the other thing is I intend to have this for a while and the browning is heavy and I would like to go stalking in scotland
and possible my mate might sell his sauer 202 outback extreme
​so really unsure
thanks

First, why would you want a varmint for the soft shooting 6.5x55 especially if you are going to lug it around in Scotland!? How many fox's are you going to shoot one after the other that a sporter barrel can't handle?
From your choices a 202 (NEW!) would be the best choice otherwise from what I've seen and used, the Tikka T3 and in the guise you suggested even better.

Slightly off your thread, although I have a 6.5x55 if I did it again I would get a .260 in a Sako.

Hi had a Steyr 6.5x55 for a few years this has a set trigger,i also had my fixed trigger adjusted to just under the set trigger this is now a great rifle not to heavy as it is the pro-hunter.Hope this helps

Last edited:
First, why would you want a varmint for the soft shooting 6.5x55 especially if you are going to lug it around in Scotland!? How many fox's are you going to shoot one after the other that a sporter barrel can't handle?
From your choices a 202 (NEW!) would be the best choice otherwise from what I've seen and used, the Tikka T3 and in the guise you suggested even better.

Slightly off your thread, although I have a 6.5x55 if I did it again I would get a .260 in a Sako.

the only reason for that model of x- bolt is I like the style of it and that is the only barrel version

and thats what its all about , get what you like the look of , but avoid that black thing . Give Steve a ring 01242863005 he will put you right on any work you need doing

Back