Bang stick! Jager SA Cerakote

BunnyDoom

Wasn't a fan of Howa's stainless finish as it's very white compared to my sako, so I sent my rather expensive Howa to Jager SA to have it cerakoted green...

It's worth saying that if any of you remember this rifle then let's not go there - I'm making the best of it and hopefully I'll be able to pop it's cherry soon! (I've only shot paper with it so far) - the purpose of this post is a write up on Jager SA's work:

If any one works out how to add images bigger than 7kb (or more than one of them) then let me know!!!

Positives: I liked dealing with James, he seems a nice guy and does good work without charging an arm and a leg. £120 all in for the barrel and action, mounts, moderator, and bolt handle. I was quoted £90 for the barrel and action on it's own - I don't think we agreed on a price for the mod, bolt handle and mounts but £30 isn't bad at all on reflection, and it was work I asked to have done when I checked.
I really like the look of his re-barrel work and when finances allow and if one of my rifles needs it I will be sending it to him!

Gripes: Was expecting a 2 week turnaround but rifle got lost buy TNT for a week (long story), then James got pretty busy and it ended up taking around 6 weeks as was sent 11th June and arrived back 24th July (including postal issues for a week). This was partly because James was trying to save me some money on postage but obviously I was getting a little desperate as it was way over what I was expecting. James apologised for this though.

I've seen quite a few peices of James' work at game fairs etc and his work seems to be of consistently good quality. Might have to get my .22 done next!

I haven't shot the rifle yet so can't comment on the durability of the coating - I'll post anything I find. So far so good though and rifle looks loads better than it used to! Thanks to Jager SA

Rifle Spec if you're interested:

• .308 cal Howa Stainless sporter bedded in bell and carlson stock
  • 18" Standard Howa Barrel with flat target crown
  • tactical bolt handle
  • Tuned trigger
  • Game reaper mounts
  • Leupold VXR Tactical 3-9x40 Scope
  • ASE SL5 Moderator
  • Snipers Cheek piece comb raiser

Cheeeers!
BD

That's a nice looking job at an unbeatable price mate!
Mine is in with him at present having a re-barrel, pillar bedding, screw-cut and coating.
I fairness to James though, he generally only gives an estimate to do a job as there are always unforseen circumstances such as yours with TNT and he can't realistically be expected to turn other work away. I believe he also groups similar tasks together which ultimately saves time and is probably how he manages to keep his costs so low compared to others. He will obviously get busy as his reputation grows which it undoubtedly will.
You can't rush quality though which is what you appear to have ended up with.:thumb:
I'll post a piccy of mine when it is done.
MS:D

That's a nice looking job at an unbeatable price mate!
Mine is in with him at present having a re-barrel, pillar bedding, screw-cut and coating.
I fairness to James though, he generally only gives an estimate to do a job as there are always unforseen circumstances such as yours with TNT and he can't realistically be expected to turn other work away. I believe he also groups similar tasks together which ultimately saves time and is probably how he manages to keep his costs so low compared to others. He will obviously get busy as his reputation grows which it undoubtedly will.
You can't rush quality though which is what you appear to have ended up with.:thumb:
I'll post a piccy of mine when it is done.
MS:D

That makes sense - spoke with James about a re-barrel when finances were better and he was about 40% cheaper than anyone else

That makes sense - spoke with James about a re-barrel when finances were better and he was about 40% cheaper than anyone else

I guess you have to ask the question, how long does it take to thread, chamber and fit a barrel???
​Proofing is another matter and out of our hands of course.

Back