Thread: what happens to guns if liscence is revoked ?

what happens to guns if liscence is revoked ?

Hi some one may know the answer to this. An acquaintance of a friend has had his 2 shotguns taken off him as he was accused of threatening a family member during an argument. I don't know if he did or didn't and that is by the by. He seams to think he will have his SGC revoked. Now my mate fancies one of his shotguns so can they be picked up by an RFD if his ticket is revoked or will they be destroyed?

The shotguns would remain the property of your friend. He would be given the opportunity to arrange for either a RFD or another shotgun certificate holder to collect them from the police. There would only be a risk of destruction if the owner failed to make arrangements within a reasonable time (several months usually) or it the guns formed part of a criminal prosecution and the Court ordered their destruction. In a case simply involving alleged verbal threats, destruction is highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    The shotguns would remain the property of your friend. He would be given the opportunity to arrange for either a RFD or another shotgun certificate holder to collect them from the police. There would only be a risk of destruction if the owner failed to make arrangements within a reasonable time (several months usually) or it the guns formed part of a criminal prosecution and the Court ordered their destruction. In a case simply involving alleged verbal threats, destruction is highly unlikely.
    We'd like to think so Norm, but all the stories we hear about guns being seized differ slightly from your account.
    Guns thrown in boot of Skoda, no precaution taken to prevent damage... stored in damp conditions (rust present when returned)

If any of the guns are of considerable value... get them off your ticket NOW!!!
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Norm and Si are both correct in what they are saying.
    I had the misfortune to have my certificate revoked for 13 months and when the bent t**t that arrested me took my guns he literally threw them into the back of his car!the old Baikal I wan't too worried about but the AYA no.2 I was a little annoyed about to say the very least.
    Nice to think that once things were sorted the officer concerned was moved out the the area I lived in and will be pounding the beat until the day he cashes his pension in

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    This is very sound advice in my view....as always Uncle Norm

unless thay have been used in an act that was an offence ! thay are stiil his property so he can have them collected by 1 and rfd or 2 a holder of a cert , your pal is allowed to be in attendance but not hold items but he can look at them along with the rfd and desk jocky or plod who took them to see if any damage has taken place while in there hands ,if thay have been damaged, make a fuss then and not after he leaves the counter get the forms done by the officer ,then get you rfd to cost the damage!! i would get hold basc to give informative advise or act on his behalf may cost him some dosh but worth it .don't let the old bill stick them in the lock up thay will get damaged also inform the officer that if the guns are damaged in any way he will be accountable for this as thay were not part of an assult.
    been down this path for a pal before. tell your mate to stand his ground on this matter.
    wish him well.

Thanks for the info people i shall pass this on, it would be a shame if a nice gun had to be put down so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    Norm and Si are both correct in what they are saying. I had the misfortune to have my certificate revoked for 13 months and when the bent t**t that arrested me took my guns he literally threw them into the back of his car!the old Baikal I wan't too worried about but the AYA no.2 I was a little annoyed about to say the very least. Nice to think that once things were sorted the officer concerned was moved out the the area I lived in and will be pounding the beat until the day he cashes his pension in
    Norm has first hand experience.... I'm just going off stories i've heard
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox