Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lymes disease

Lymes disease

We all know ticks pass this on. I was speaking to a man yesterday and we got talking about the increased number of Cleggs that are about this year. He told me that he had read an article that said Cleggs can pass on Lymes disease too. I 've never heard this one before, anyone know if it is true?

​Al

Is this the parasite your on about.

Hmm don't think it is and if it was it would be easy to eradicate them all in one go!

​Al

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5/284matt View Post
    Is this the parasite your on about.

Quality

I bl**dy hope it's not true!

More Cleggs up here this year than i've ever seen before....

It seems like everything in the forest (adders, cleggs, ticks & midgies) is hell bent on eating me at the moment!

Never seen as many cleggs as this year. Getting bitten every time I take the dogs out. ******* things!!!
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Cleggs are proper dirty little buggers. I'm pretty sure they can pass on infections so I don't think it would be too far fetched that they could give you lymes disease.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

I think "unlikely" is the correct answer here. My instinctive reaction was no, as horseflies etc bite and then lap up the blood, rather than sucking. Also, it is likely that the gut of the fly is not a suitable place for the Borrelia to survive in (I've seen a reference that they die within 6 days in mosquitoes). However, the Tabanid flies (the family cleggs are in) can transmit some diseases, so it is possible that they could mechanically transmit the Borrelia bacteria (ie they pick up infected blood on their mouthparts and then immediately bite something else.)
    ​I suspect they are so damn painful, we swat them before any significant transmission.

Found an interesting reference to this by accident in an article by a University of Rhode Island Horticulture Program fact sheet, it implies that they are suspected of being carriers of Lyme.
    Ref New England Journal of Medicine 322:1752, 1990. ?

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Found an interesting reference to this by accident in an article by a University of Rhode Island Horticulture Program fact sheet, it implies that they are suspected of being carriers of Lyme.
    Ref New England Journal of Medicine 322:1752, 1990. ?
    Cheers, will have a look

Al