Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel re profiling

Barrel re profiling

Any recommendation chaps on who can do this for me.

​Cheers. Matt.

Callum, Border Barrels

Will not be cheap, suggest live with what you have and rebarrel when time comes...

Just setting up my copier, as soon as that's done I'll be able to accomadate.

My local rifle smith can do it, just not till mid October.
    Its not that expensive at all through him.

Jager, I'd be interest to hear how much you will be charging for this service.

cheers. Matt.

Hi UJames long time no speaky, Will reprofiling an already chambered and stressed releived barrel add un wanted stresses during the process , and im guessing itll need reproofing
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    Hi UJames long time no speaky, Will reprofiling an already chambered and stressed releived barrel add un wanted stresses during the process , and im guessing itll need reproofing
    No it won't add unwanted stress to the barrel, why would it...light passes is all that are required. As for proofing, well, it's a possibility and I'd recommend it...although, you're not altering the bore of the barrel. If someone was to do it themselves, would they send it for proof?

If you turn a barrel will you be removing the existing proof marks? If you do you are removing the accepted evidence that the rifle has been proofed.
    Assuming that a RFD does the work or has it done, is it then lawful to give it back to the owner without re-proofing???
    IMHO re-profiling a barrel should be treated the same as screw cutting the muzzle for a moderator with respect to whether it needs to be sent for re-proofing after it's done.
    By reducing the outside diameter of a barrel you will weaken it. The same applies to screw cutting the muzzle. (Same load distributed over a smaller surface area results in higher stress in the material).
    Can of worms opened! - Tin hat on - Where's me coat? (p.s. can't find the right smiley!)

Ian

Speak to Steve Kershaw, he seems to do quite a lot of runs to the proofing house.. proofing has certainly never delayed any guns ive had done by him..

Matt, will give you a buzz when i get a free 5 mins.

Your not going for an F-Class shehane are you?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    If you turn a barrel will you be removing the existing proof marks? If you do you are removing the accepted evidence that the rifle has been proofed.
    Assuming that a RFD does the work or has it done, is it then lawful to give it back to the owner without re-proofing???
    IMHO re-profiling a barrel should be treated the same as screw cutting the muzzle for a moderator with respect to whether it needs to be sent for re-proofing after it's done.
    By reducing the outside diameter of a barrel you will weaken it. The same applies to screw cutting the muzzle. (Same load distributed over a smaller surface area results in higher stress in the material).
    Can of worms opened! - Tin hat on - Where's me coat? (p.s. can't find the right smiley!)

Ian
    Think I said I'd recommend the proofing after reprofiling! Each rifle that is proofed has a certificate with the details of proof on it.

As far as I am aware, to date it's not a legal requirement to have a threading job proofed...I do believe Peter Jackson had a test case challenging the necessity to do so.

Jager.
    Well done on pushing forward and offering new services. Good luck to you.

Yorkie.