beach fishing with a fly rod?

Tackleberry270

As many stalkers love a bit of fishing I was hoping to get a bit of advice. I'm taking the kids to do some camping east of Weymouth and want to try casting off the beach with them whilst I am there. I have a mismatch of old fly fishing gear and don't really want to spend too much so is there a setup that might work with what I have already? what lures shall I buy and what method will work best?

I have (don't laugh),

an old fibreglass (I think) fibafly 8-9 flyrod and assorted flys
an equally old Daiwa flyreel
an okuma interceptor spinning reel

Anything I can do with this lot?

Hi Tackleberry,

Try "Go Outdoors" they sell a spinning rod/reel/line setup ideal for a couple of days out for £10.

Willie

There is one in Poole. I can see myself spending more than should but presuming my spinning reel will do the job, I could probably figure out a rod by the titles, but then what line, lure/bait and what should I be aiming to catch? Any recommendations?

There is one in Poole. I can see myself spending more than should but presuming my spinning reel will do the job, I could probably figure out a rod by the titles, but then what line, lure/bait and what should I be aiming to catch? Any recommendations?
Clouser minnows and poppers, if that advice works and you catch a Bass stick it in the freezer and I will take it off your hands next time we meet!
Cheers and good luck
Richard

if there are Bass about, then you can fly fish for them, alternatively by one of the cheap telescopic kits and try a rubber eel and bubble float, run it with a 6-8 ft leader off the float, cast out and retrieve like a plug or spinner.

floating line, sinking tip.. 10lb leader and something either white and long or some of these big lures used for reservoir fishing. You'll pick up bass on these but mackerel which are more plentiful are just as good from a sport perspective. Try fishing low tide somewhere with features and fish from low tide 'up' over. bass move in with the tide sweeping up food as they go. low tides coinciding with day break or sun set will work the best. Keep an eye out for shoals of mackerel catching fry, if your lucky enough to catch a small joey, handle it carefully, stick a 4/0 hook on instead of a fly, stick the big hook through the top lip of the joey mackerel and gently lob it out and wait.. Ive had some phenominal sport either fishing with small mepps spinners or freelining live joeys for bass. Used to spend most of my time fishing off the rocks when i was based in kent..

Lump of lead with a a 3 foot leader to a hook baited with a fresh mussel. Should catch crabs or a flounder if your lucky. Instead of the lead could use a bubble float might catch a bass.

​good luck, Willie

floating line, sinking tip.. 10lb leader and something either white and long or some of these big lures used for reservoir fishing. You'll pick up bass on these but mackerel which are more plentiful are just as good from a sport perspective. Try fishing low tide somewhere with features and fish from low tide 'up' over. bass move in with the tide sweeping up food as they go. low tides coinciding with day break or sun set will work the best. Keep an eye out for shoals of mackerel catching fry, if your lucky enough to catch a small joey, handle it carefully, stick a 4/0 hook on instead of a fly, stick the big hook through the top lip of the joey mackerel and gently lob it out and wait.. Ive had some phenominal sport either fishing with small mepps spinners or freelining live joeys for bass. Used to spend most of my time fishing off the rocks when i was based in kent..

Top advice, might give that a go with light tackle when I go to the West Country...I like fishing with light tackle, much more fun! ;)

Hi TB270
Your fly kit won't live long if you take it to the salt, not unless you meticulously clean it after each and every use, ie every time you reach a source of fresh water, not just at the end of the trip.
New would be better but likely to be pricey if you buy specifically for the salt water. Flies would include deceivers, clousers and gurglers - anything which looks like a small sandeel or herring.
Not a bad spinning reel, stick some new line on it 10 or 12lb, get a 9' or 10' spinning rod, a couple of surface running lures like poppers and a couple of bass bullets and you'll be good to go.
Small bass are easy, the ones around 2lb can be almost suicidal, bigger specimens take a bit more effort and luck to catch.
Good luck!
BTW admin, you've set your filters a bit too tight - can't spell salt-water as all one word? Seriously? Let's see if S****horpe gets through...........

DSC00446.JPG

Its about the best sport you can have fishing off the rocks, the only thing which i rate as better sport is catching smoothounds off the beach, thats something else!

Just thinking about it is making me wish i still lived near the sea!! This one was taken on freelined joey in the middle of the day, 6' from the tip of my rod

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. I'm going to go and get a cheap rod from poole that will be better for casting than my old fly rod and a load of lures and stuff. Wish me luck.

Mackeral are going to be the easiest by far. When are you going?

I do an awful lot of fishing, but salt water fly fishing is very hit and miss and quite hard work, be much better with a spinning rod and your reel - none of this new fangled 6 foot pieces of spaghetti though, get a proper 10 ft ish rod casting 10-60g and it will do you for spinning (mepps, dexter wedges and tobies are all cheap and catch numerous types of fish) and float fishing with a cheap float set up and small hooks (size 2 for a start) and worm or mackeral strip - that will take wrasse, mackeral, gar, bass etc. It would also take a 2oz lead and do for bottom fishing.

Weymouth is pretty well known for squid fishing off the piers too - mostly at night, with cheap squid jigs.

There is a tackle shop in Weymouth thats pretty good too.

Mackeral are going to be the easiest by far. When are you going?

I do an awful lot of fishing, but salt water fly fishing is very hit and miss and quite hard work, be much better with a spinning rod and your reel - none of this new fangled 6 foot pieces of spaghetti though, get a proper 10 ft ish rod casting 10-60g and it will do you for spinning (mepps, dexter wedges and tobies are all cheap and catch numerous types of fish) and float fishing with a cheap float set up and small hooks (size 2 for a start) and worm or mackeral strip - that will take wrasse, mackeral, gar, bass etc. It would also take a 2oz lead and do for bottom fishing.

Weymouth is pretty well known for squid fishing off the piers too - mostly at night, with cheap squid jigs.

There is a tackle shop in Weymouth thats pretty good too.

Will probably be the beach south of osmington if you have any local knowledge.

I don't I am afraid - I have been a few times on holiday, as have my folks, that is all.

Worth a look on World Sea Fishing forum, a friendly bunch and a quick search of Weymouth or even that beach may reveal some gen for you.

I have no clue what you guys are talking about, it's like another language. Tried fishing many times, even bought some kit but I just get bored. Don't want to highjack Tackleberrys post but if anyone can give me some guide lines, places to go, when to go there etc etc I may try yet again.

Budgie chuckers! As others say beware of salt water, so best to have a dedicated rod and reel to use.

I use a 9 weight Grey's GRX and its GRX reel. These are not expensive and also you'll be able to gets lots of 20lbs or 30lbs backing. The hollow braided stuff is fine don't waste money on anything more costly.

To clean use a gentle toothbrush or just dump the disassembled rod and reel into the bath and leave to soak.

Floating line, weight forward, is best and let the natural weight of the large hook take your fly down.

Love flyfishing in the salt, mackerel and mulelt are the poor mans bonefish and GT's.

A normal reservoir set up will suffice and a cheapo palstic reel like an Okuma Airframe will handle any UK sal****er fish, just take the lot in the shower with you (minus the flee..) after a day on the water and give it a good wash down.

I have used an old Sage RPLXi in the salt water for a long long time and never have an issue with corrosion etc, flies do need a bit more attention, wash in fresh thoroughly and allow to dry.

Good luck and tell us how you get on

David,

No idea on anything up that way, but again, a look on the Scottish section of World Sea Fishing would be a good start.

Back