Thread: Roof mounted lamp help Durham / North Yorks

Roof mounted lamp help Durham / North Yorks

Ive recently purchased a roof mounted lamp and T bar handle which id planned on fitting myself.

Obviously since a hole has to be cut in roof ,placement and fitting has to be spot on as theres no 2nd chances.

Before I get the hole cutters out I was wondering if anyone can recommend a garage/ mechanic in the above area who has experience in fitting these sort of lamps where I could just take car and lamp to and let the experts do it.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

have a beer, get hole saw or jig saw out. and job done
    up and at um

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by gatgun View Post
    Ive recently purchased a roof mounted lamp and T bar handle which id planned on fitting myself.

Obviously since a hole has to be cut in roof ,placement and fitting has to be spot on as theres no 2nd chances.

Before I get the hole cutters out I was wondering if anyone can recommend a garage/ mechanic in the above area who has experience in fitting these sort of lamps where I could just take car and lamp to and let the experts do it.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
    its not hard to do,

but its easy to cook up, like a mate who forgot to cut back the roof lining back far enough, now that was a mess, another has still got a leak in the roof. and one chap i was told about cut the hole to big, lots of issues there.

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I had a sunroof in my lamping motor so all that was needed therewas a bit of board and removal of the sunroof everytime i used that lamp.
    ​As for cutting holes in roofs I think I might be tempted to gutter mount it?

Thanks....but ive had a couple of beers tonight but still not plucked up the courage to fit a holesaw to the Makita !
    Ive tried all the suction cup bar and roof bar ***** before in the past and cant be doing with it. Its not practical for the amount of shooting I do and a ball ache as well to boot !

I want warm hands on a cold winters night instead of holding t bar out of window whilst freezing my finger ends off and not being able to pull trigger due to frostbite

If I had a sunroof that would be a definite consideration but unfortunately ive not got that luxury. I also lamp in the rain regulary as foxes don't just come out in the fair weather !!

If the centre console wasn't there things would be a lot simpler but due to its location ive no room for error at all.

If I don't receive any more defined answers then maybe the bottle of jack daniels in the cupboard may give me some dutch courage but that is a last resort !

What vehicle? The reason I ask is some will have a reinforcement down the centre line (Defender).

I'm just waiting for delivery of a light-force suction mount roof bar to fit onto my Shogun Sport. I wasn't keen on drilling through my roof either ! - I also bought 2 very strong magnets for security incase it makes a bid for freedom With my NV kit attached !! I've got a Digital Night vision unit set up on a Deben handle with a NM800IR wired through the built in on/off switch, the Digital unit is linked via an AV cable to a 7" monitor on my dash. I've done some testing & lots of pondering and it very very good.

mesure twice cut once ,remove head lining make a template from the rubber gasket and tape it in the place on the underside of roof skin you would like the handel to be then sit in drivers seat and think if its there can i operate it ok or will it be in my way or to far back! then drill a small hole in the center with a sharpe drill bit then remove your template and put it on top of the roof center over the hole you just drilled use lots of tape if you wish not to scatch the roof ,look and if you are happy dont push let the tool do the cutting !slowly cut out try not to bounce when you are cutting or get a hole cutter which would be better as the pilot hole would keep you on center . if you are not happy you have only have drilled one small hole so you can move your template , also when make'g your hard wire conections bring wires up the screen trim use wide tape to hold wires to underside to roof skin nowt more peeing off that another rattel above your head !! power 1,from a split charged 2nd battery or 2, direct from battery vie and toggel switch but use a spotlight relay kit and wireing kit ,fuse both neg and pos feeds use correct ampage wire so it do't get hot ?
    3 use the flex to conect to a cig lighter point or rear of the console unit.
    Required Cable Size 1.5 mm
    Voltage Drop 0.242 Volts.
    Percentage Drop 2.0%
    Current Load 2.00 Amps
    Max Cable Load* 19.5 Amps

as a foot note when i did mine i got an 2mm ally plate and done the same holes etc and used stickoflex its motor trade rubber sealer and used to hold panels on and anything you wish never to move ,to seal and hold this plate under the skin to add strength back to skin thus prevent flex should the lamp ever get a knock .happy lamping
    paul o'
    Last edited by paul o'; 28-07-2013 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by gatgun View Post
    I want warm hands on a cold winters night instead of holding t bar out of window whilst freezing my finger ends off and not being able to pull trigger due to frostbite
    That's what you train your mate up for so that you can sit and keep toasty while he's freezing his digits off!