Thread: Ballistics info for Sako 243 70gr ballistic tip

Ballistics info for Sako 243 70gr ballistic tip

I have recently bought some of this ammo. It groups tighter using my Blaser R8 than Federal at 100 yds but appears to have a greater drop than federal at 200yds plus. I use a Swarovski scope with ballistic turret but their software does not list this round. I have tried getting ballistic info from the UK agent but with no success, I have approached Sako only to be given the ballistic coefficient. A follow up request for more info has not been replied to after 7 weeks! Has anyone got any relevant ballistics for this round so I can set up the Swarovski table. It's the muzzle velocity I need.

regards
    ​GraemeB

Graeme
    I suggest you find a friend with a chronograph and test the ammunition yourself. Scotland's a big place, but if you are anywhere near Edinburgh drop me a PM?
    Regards JCS

GraemeB,

According to Sako's own website they don't offer that cartridge.....

Now, they may offer a bullet, but Ballistic Tip is a Nosler trademark.

Stan

Graembe you are asking Sako for something that they don't make so can't realistically expect an answer from them. In any case each rifle is different so until you shoot the ammo that you have over a chronagraph in your rifle you will never have the information you require. You can however look at this http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/Sa...atable2013.pdf to give you some general info on Sako ammunition. You also need to look up the various bullets that Sako load in their ammunition, as already mentioned the Nosler ballistic tip is not loaded by Sako, well not in this calibre anyway.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Graembe you are asking Sako for something that they don't make so can't realistically expect an answer from them. In any case each rifle is different so until you shoot the ammo that you have over a chronagraph in your rifle you will never have the information you require. You can however look at this http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/Sa...atable2013.pdf to give you some general info on Sako ammunition. You also need to look up the various bullets that Sako load in their ammunition, as already mentioned the Nosler ballistic tip is not loaded by Sako, well not in this calibre anyway.
    Everyone tells me Sako don't make .243 70gr but I have 2 boxes bought from Bushwear? I think the easiest answer is to go back to Federal.

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeB View Post
    Everyone tells me Sako don't make .243 70gr but I have 2 boxes bought from Bushwear? I think the easiest answer is to go back to Federal.
    I'm sure you have. Post a picture of the ammo please. Before I started reloading I had success with the Sako 90gr in my .243.Thanks JCS

GraemeB,

More specifically you said Ballistic Tip. Yes, you have a two boxes but from when?

Does the Sako BC given to you match the BC of the Nosler Ballistic Tip?

​Stan

You are not thinking of the 80grn powerhead II are you? http://www.sako.fi/cartrid_bullettypes.php?powerhead2
    If you do go back to Federal you should still put the ammo over a chronagraph if you want to know what speed it is really doing and not just what speed is claimed in the advertising splurge.

Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough but I can't see a 6mm 70 grn Nosler ballistic tip in either their hunting or varmint ranges. Edit Strike that - Found them.
    Last edited by 8x57; 27-07-2013 at 21:52.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

if you want to find out your drop, you could do it the old way, set up a target,(4ft piece of wallpaper with a shoot and see at the top) at 100 yards and go back 50 yards at a time till your happy.
    atb Matt

now greameb thinks hes going nuts yes sako do/did offer a 70gr ballistic tip in .243 i saw it in a 2012/13 gmk cataloge on the weekend and i just wondered if anyone had any more info on this round or has it been discontinued? the sako website doesnt list it and my local gun shop knew nothing of it and i would really like to give it a go