Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stihl or husqvarna chainsaw to take 20" plus bar and chain

stihl or husqvarna chainsaw to take 20" plus bar and chain

As above gents need a big saw for ringing up firewood for home! thanks Will

are looking for a brand new or second hand saw, i perfer stihl myself but im sure if theres any forestry people on here they will like the husqkys better,
    depending on how much you want to spend, i would go for a stihl ms 441 if your logging farely big timber, you could try honey bro or george carr,
    atb
    simon

Hi Simon,
    im after a secondhand saw, im cutting and logging fair size timber but have a limited budget hence this advert!
    thanks for your help will look about cheers Will
    Quote Originally Posted by simon1979 View Post
    are looking for a brand new or second hand saw, i perfer stihl myself but im sure if theres any forestry people on here they will like the husqkys better,
    depending on how much you want to spend, i would go for a stihl ms 441 if your logging farely big timber, you could try honey bro or george carr,
    atb
    simon

try ebay, but its best if its a local collection then you can try it 1st, theres some gd buys on there for 200-300, even some the older models can be still in good condition
    atb
    si

If you can find one - a husqy 365 or a stihl 391 would be perfect for what you need, both will run a 20" with easy and the husqy 365's are known for being solid and a life long saw, the 391 is a clamshell design which puts done off but is still a good running saw - it's if it ever needs fixed that the clamshell design is a pain apparently.

regards,
    ​gixer

Stihl MS 390 or similar, you don't need one from the professional range, they are designed to run day in
    day out.

We have owned this saw since 2004 and cut up tonnes of wood, but I bet the saw
    has done less than 50 hours work. It's on its third chain and second bar. The
    only problem we have had is with the plastic starting paul, which cost a tenner
    to replace.

However, I now want a Husqvarna xp 120 or similar ever since the fitter
    produced one from out of his van, complete with 36" bar, and proceeded to
    cut up a trunk that we were having to double cut with our 20" bars. This
    thing sounded like a motocross bike on nitros and just demolished the trunk. This
    coupled with the fact that the fitter looks like Phil Lynott and was wearing a
    camo jacket made it a very surreal day
    Last edited by Irish Bob; 30-07-2013 at 21:03.

at least you have the sense to buy a good name and not some of the rubbish out there.i'm a tree surgeon and both are spot on but i prefer stihl pruning saws and husky for ground and logging 357xp would fit the bill nicely.

Husky is what im aiming for, currently have a stihl kmr130strimmer saw hedge trimmer stihl ms210 saw and a stihl ms201t top handle saw im not overly imprressed with!
    Mate uses huskys for all large ground work and i borrow his saw and like the way they rev!

Husky. Very strong and constant power. An equal Stihl will die, Huskys go on and on and on. I've got both but the Stihl doesn't move. Husky everytime. Seems to be good on fuel too.