Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damage Control Permits a 300 Win Mag and a 444 Marlin !

Damage Control Permits a 300 Win Mag and a 444 Marlin !

Well we went Damage Control Hunting again this saturday evening !

Shot the first one at about 19:14 at 65 yards was using one of my circa 1972 Marlin 444T's with a Marlin 1 3/4-5x scope on top . Was shooting the Ranch Dog 432-240GC bullet I had cast from straight wheelweights and pushed with 52 grains of H322 . Deer went maybe 12 yards and toppled over !

I set the 444 down and picked up my Ruger #1B 300 Win Mag and shot at another one that had gone a bit from the first but was still only 75 yards . This rifle has a Bushnell 3200 3-9 on top and is shooting the Hornady 165 SST pushed with 78 grains RL-22 and it dropped right where it was standing !

Monday I'll cart along another unblooded 444 shooting the Lyman 429244 HP bullet and my Ruger #1B 338 Win Mag shooting the Hornady 225 SST !

Hi

Thank you for the photos/write-up. Presumeably you have to 'jump through various hoops' to get the DCP's?

Ruger No.1 looks great!

Regards, L

No not really , pretty much all you need is to know someone that's getting a fair amount if crop damage . They have the people from the game commission come and look at what the deer or bear are bothering . Typically there is no hassle getting a permit . After the game commission agrees then the landowner names whomever they want in the permit . There are four of us on the permit for this place . And the place we bear hunt usually has three of us on that one !

We actually got three last night . The two I have pictured and another my friend shot as he was on the way to come and pick me up .

what is the crop that was being damaged?

Andy7mm

Crops looking good to me.

I work on the basis that I get some losses due to wildlife. I still manage to make enough to get by, and keep the machinery dealers happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7mm View Post
    what is the crop that was being damaged?

Andy7mm

Corn and soy beans !

This place is about 1300 acres .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    And the place we bear hunt usually has three of us on that one !
    OK, you can't leave it at that! We need more info/pics/etc on bear hunting! I know less than nothing about it so any info would be very interesting.

Thanks for the photos. How many deer are you allowed to shoot per season in your state?

Regards,
    Glendine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Kaira View Post
    OK, you can't leave it at that! We need more info/pics/etc on bear hunting! I know less than nothing about it so any info would be very interesting.
    Fellow has about an 18 acre peach/apple orchard and usually we get permits for 5 bear and unlimited antlerless deer . We usually sit in stands on the edge of the orchard in the evenings and wait for the bear and or deer to walk by . Also use scent candles some .
    We never kille more then 4 bear per year before they get wise to us . Also maybe 10 deer on that piece a year !