Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loose bullets

loose bullets

Hi there. I'm fairly new to reloading but have had good results so far. I've just loaded my first batch of fireformed cases and some bullets have seated ok but others slide into the case neck easily and can be pulled out by hand with no great difficulty. As far as I'm aware I'm doing everything the same. Any ideas gratefully received.
    Loading with a Lee loader. 308. 165 gn Sierra game kings. Winchester brass ( I have my suspicions it's this )

​regards Pete

Very unlikely to be a problem with the cases other than you have not resized them properly and almost certainly nothing wrong with the bullets. Your sizer is not resizing the case neck sufficiently to hold the bullet in place. If it were a conventional die or a collet die I would say go back and adjust the die but as it is a Lee loader of which I have no personal experience I can't advise on how to adjust.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Hi Pj1 I had this when my neck re sizer and de primer die wasnt set right. I screwed it in another half a turn and it tightened the neck of the brass. cheers Hootsman
    Just Shoot The F..king Thing!

Thanks for the replies. I lee loader as far as I am aware has no adjustment for sizing. You quite literally knock the case into the "die"until it is flush with the bottom. As there is no adjustment would a different make of brass with a thicker neck make the dirrerence.

I wouldn't mess about, just get a set of adjustable dies, if your current setup has no facility for adjustment the problem will probably recur.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Your cases are not properly resized. It sounds like you have not got the die fitted properly in the press. Find the instructions - if you don't have them, look for the online or pm me - and follow them. Then resize one of the offending cases (if it has a primer fitted then go very gently and discard the primer once it has been popped). Take the resized case and try putting the bullet into the neck by hand. It shouldn't be possible to hand seat the bullet.

-JMS

There's no press as OP is using Lee Loader:

Lee Loader 308 Win - Lee Precision

To the OP, did I understand correctly that you've loaded the same cases brand new and had no problem?

I'd say if you have access to micrometer go on and measure the OD of bullets, and neck diameter on a loaded case where bullet was seated properly and also on a case that bullet slips in/out with fingers. If the bullet OD does not vary and neck diameters are same, there must be variation in neck thickness (neck thickness itself is quite hard to measure, that's why I suggest the above method). At this point your best bet would be to try different cases as you suggested. Or upgrade your reloading equipment (anyway you can't use Loader, or any other neck sizing method, forever on the same cases, since shoulder bump is needed at some point).

Lee Loader, pretty much cave man reloading these days, O.K. for the survivalists amongst us!, Get a set of R.C.B.S. or some other quality press mounted gear.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Hi there. I'm fairly new to reloading but have had good results so far. I've just loaded my first batch of fireformed cases and some bullets have seated ok but others slide into the case neck easily and can be pulled out by hand with no great difficulty. As far as I'm aware I'm doing everything the same. Any ideas gratefully received.
    Loading with a Lee loader. 308. 165 gn Sierra game kings. Winchester brass ( I have my suspicions it's this )

​regards Pete
    Hi Pete
    I really think it's a brass problem, well not a problem exactly but more brass compatibility.
    Winchester brass tends to be on the thin side and as the Lee loader system has no expander set-up, bullet tension is controlled by sizing the outside of the neck - you have no control over this - you bash your case in, it's sized. Now, what if you were using thick military cases, the outside of the neck would be the same but the hole would be smaller ie. higher bullet tension.
    There is a very fine line between too much and not enough - Lee are probably somewhere in between. A cast, slightly larger bullet would work or your bullets with slightly thicker brass would work.

Keep the Winchester brass (use it with the new press you will soon buy) but in the meantime measure your bullets to make sure they're the right size, there's not much difference between .308 or .311. Scrounge a few different cases. You need to change your components to work with the fixed Lee loader rather than adjust the die to work with your components as we usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Lee Loader, pretty much cave man reloading these days, O.K. for the survivalists amongst us!, Get a set of R.C.B.S. or some other quality press mounted gear.
    Crude but effective?
    I have loaded some very accurate ammo using these units. BUt for the lack of an arbor press, they are in essence, the same kind of gear used by bench rest shooters. I always felt that if a guy showed up at the range with a Lee Loader and a small arbor press they would get more respect. It's that mallet thing that turns people off!

Unfortunately, they are what they are, and brass compatibility is an issue especially since 308 has a wide range of neck thickness between say Lake City Military and Winchester.~Muir