Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munty twins!

Munty twins!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	850.8 KB 
ID:	30712As title! Have you or how common is it for muntjac to have twins?I ask this as I have never seen this before! And whilst out this morning at 0445 I drove into a field ti start my stalk and seen some movement in the corner of this field! Glassed what I thought was roe for it to be a buck and doe muntys browsing on the hedge line, but before I could get to my rifle the buck trotted off into the wood leaving the doe! He took a perfect broad side heart shot from about 180yds an whilst grolloching found her to be in calf with twins! GUTTED!
    Last edited by speedystu; 28-07-2013 at 08:39.

I've never seen or shot one with twins but I'd rather shoot a pregnant doe than one that might have an unseen follower (or followers!).

Others might feel squeamish about it, but when I find a doe has a well-developed foetus it comes home with me and gets a salt and herb rub before being slathered in lard, wrapped in tinfoil and slow-roasted in the oven, then, on the Spanish model of corderito asado or cochinillo I give it a hot finish to get the outside golden and crispy. Scrumptious isn't the word!

Good on you for not wasting them, but I couldn't do that.

I have seen munty twins once, it was a lovely sight.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I've never seen or shot one with twins but I'd rather shoot a pregnant doe than one that might have an unseen follower (or followers!).

Others might feel squeamish about it, but when I find a doe has a well-developed foetus it comes home with me and gets a salt and herb rub before being slathered in lard, wrapped in tinfoil and slow-roasted in the oven, then, on the Spanish model of corderito asado or cochinillo I give it a hot finish to get the outside golden and crispy. Scrumptious isn't the word!
    I don't have any qualms about shooting muntjac does, pregnant or other wises..... but chowing down on muntjac foetus??? Nah! Definitely not for me.

I always understood corderito asado or cochinillo to be suckling lamb or suckling pig. I think there is definitely a difference between them and foetus's

each to there own ,but thats a 1st for me, never heard of someone eating an unborn before
    at-least they didnt go to waist

I have a few native friends ( Northern Cree ) who consider this a delicacy. Since they're treaty, they hunt year round and by preference will take cow Moose when they can, which by the way often have twins. These people waste nothing so anything edible gets eaten. Good on you for leaving nothing to waste. We hunt in the fall so I've never had to deal with that choice, but if I did, I might.

AB

that was a good cull beast well done !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by TankGunner View Post
    I always understood corderito asado or cochinillo to be suckling lamb or suckling pig. I think there is definitely a difference between them and foetus's
    It depends a bit where you eat them. Restaurants generally give you un-weaned piglets and lambs, partly because it puts people off (less), but mostly because it's easier to source them at that stage. But, like many things, if you end up being served delicious corderito or cochinillo that later turns out to have been somewhat pre-natal, you realise that it's not such an unthinkable thing to put in the oven or sink your teeth into. The fact is, there's not much difference by the time it reaches your plate!

Just think of all the times you've served venison, rabbit or pigeon to guests who claim to be averse to wild meat without telling them first. How many of them ever complained afterwards, and how many of them went away with broader gastronomic horizons! Fetal gastronomy really is just one step sideways from that.

Just in case you think I'll eat anything, a Spanish friend who came to stay recently -and -who also hunts- while helping me dispatch the jackdaws in my traps -I'm currently doing what I can to deal with a plague of the things around a dairy farm; one of those quid-pro-quo things- asked me how I cook them, and was rather unimpressed when I said I didn't. All credit to him. He has a strong belief that you should eat what you hunt.

Come to think of it, they do look like they might be rather plump and tender under those unappealing black feathers...

I'm going to put my hand up and admit to being one of the others who feels squeamish about this. I pride myself on being a top-to-tail eating kind of guy, and doing what you describe makes perfect sense, but no. I'm afraid that the ickiness factor is too high for me in this particular case.