Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hips x ray on gwp age to have done

Hips x ray on gwp age to have done

Hi Guys

12 months of age on a wire, is that about the right time to have the hip score undertaken. or 18 months of age ?

ATB

​Phil

Thanks Greymaster

Greatly appreciated

ATB

​Phil

It might be a bit early? I would wait a little longer on such a big dog for him to finish growing and his joints to harden off completely if I were you. A lot of the professionals lab trailers wait until 15 months and your dog will take longer to grow than a lab I would imagine? You could end up with a few more points unnecessarily by rushing it? I doubt that you're thinking of breeding from him any time soon after all!
    All the best
    Baguio

I have mine done at 12 months, Hip and elbow scoring is a one off for life, I do not want to risk any injury having a detrimental affect on the scores so I have my Labs and IWS scored at 12 months.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Quote Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
    I have mine done at 12 months, Hip and elbow scoring is a one off for life, I do not want to risk any injury having a detrimental affect on the scores so I have my Labs and IWS scored at 12 months.
    What injuries are likely to damage the hip scores aside from RTC's after 12 months of age? Many of the professional Lab trailers have it done at 15 months for the reasons that I have given above. We will never know if their results improve or not as you can only have it done once but I'm sure that the wear on the joints between 12 & 15 months would be nothing compared with the potential gain from the bones and joints hardening off. The sire to my lab (FTCH Brindlebay Butler) had 0-0 hips and elbows so it's difficult to say that Mike Tallamy had got it wrong?

Any number of injuries. All my bitches and dogs are under breed average for hips and 0 for elbows, so I have no complaints.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Is 12 months not the earliest that you can have them done? I think the KC approved puppy farmers tend to have it done at 12 months. I've read that most hip problems come from environmental factors (jumping out of the car, playing with other dogs, etc.) and are not hereditary (although some obviously are). Obviously eliminating hereditary hip displacia would be a fantastic thing to do, I fear that most breeders hip score to bump up the price of their pups without any real regard for improving the breed.

Anyway, I think about 12 months seems to give the best most profitable score!
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Yes 12 months is the earliest time that you can get hip scoring done. As I understand it from the professional handlers, the smaller dogs such as cockers and springers that have long since stopped growing get the best results at 12 months. Larger dogs that are still growing at 12 months should be given more time for the soft bone ends to harden from gristle to bone. Soft bone/gristle does not show on the X Ray so would show as a poor/average joint when in fact within a few months it would have been a really good joint with a really good score! Most people acknowledge that large dogs should not be worked hard until they're 18 months or more old as they're still growing so why would they then go and hip score them at 12 months?
    The other problem with the average for breed score as given by the kennel club is when Vets score the hips prior to sending off the X-Rays. If they think that the results will come back poor some will advise their clients to save their money and not send them off. Therefore poor hips never get scored officially and the mean average is kept artificially lower than the true mean average.

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Vets score the hips prior to sending off the X-Rays. If they think that the results will come back poor some will advise their clients to save their money and not send them off. Therefore poor hips never get scored officially and the mean average is kept artificially lower than the true mean average.
    We make it very clear that we are just taking the radiographs and sending them away. We offer no opinion. We get owner to complete paperwork and the radiographs have gone in the post by the time they come for the dog.

Makes the system meaningless if you want that to happen.

I say 12 months or fully skeletally mature. As time goes on wear and tear can increase the score.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.