Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 course with no previous rifle experience.

DSC1 course with no previous rifle experience.

My backround is with shotguns. I have owned a SGC for 15 years now.
    I have recently been out deer stalking with a very experienced friend.

I have decided that it is something that I would love to do.

With that in mind I have looked into DCS1 courses that I would be keen to do as I am sure I will
    learne a lot.
    The problem that I have is that I have VERY limited experience with rifle shooting.
    Is this likely to be a problem when completing a DSC1 course?

Thanks

Seen some of the tights groups shot by people with limited rifle experience on DSC 1. Just put cross hair on centre of target and pull the trigger, and demonstrate gun safety all the time. The deer target just aim at heart and you be will be fine. Your course instructor will point you in the right direction if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by .243Ady View Post
    Seen some of the tights groups shot by people with limited rifle experience on DSC 1. Just put cross hair on centre of target and pull the trigger, and demonstrate gun safety all the time. The deer target just aim at heart and you be will be fine. Your course instructor will point you in the right direction if you need it.
    I agree with this, the only people who struggle with the DSC1 shooting test invariably fall into one of three catergories: Firstly, those with loads of experience and a load of chips on their shoulders, they resent being there and build themselves up for a fall; Secondly, those who overcomplicate everything and start taking bipods on and off, adjusting scopes between ranges, cluttering themselves up with guchi kit etc and, finally; those who insist on using junk rifles and scopes that can't hold zero between the gun cabinet and the car.

you are all ready over half way there as you should know gun safety

Constructive comments, thank you.

Time to find the next DSC1 course that is local to me.

ScubaD

In short - unlikely it will be any problem for you at all.

We have had a significant number of new shooters attend courses and this issue has been a worry for all of them. Whilst it sounds trite, from a teaching perspective it is generally far easier to sort someone out from a complete fresh start than to try to correct entrenched bad habits.

The Shooting test does attempt to address a range of shooting skills - but is necessarily limited in scope. Passing it provides a useful benchmark and place from which to build.

The key - as is often the case - is to talk with whichever course ( or Assessment ) provider you are looking at and be happy with their proposals for how you needs will be addressed on a particular course. Each course provider provides something a little bit different - that's a strength - but also makes it essential to select what suits you best.

​Good luck - let us know how you get on.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Its good to see such positive encouragement for a new member.

If you can get any practice with a .22 scoped rifle (ten shots only) you'll be in a better place. Then get 5 shots off from a full bore to make the transition and you'll be in clover.

The shooting isn't hard and if you do fail it you can re-take it separately for 25, so there's no pressure.

One exercise that is helpful to all is to practice shooting prone, sitting and standing. You don't need to loose any rounds, just make sure you can get a repeatable, comfy position for each shot. Consider using sticks or evan a rucksack. Sticks seem to be the preferred option. Talk to your training provider and they'll guide you.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Toxster; 29-07-2013 at 08:52.

I did my shooting test on Friday and 3 chaps failed the test, with one of them not even getting past the 4" circle. 2 were mates who did a lot of shooting and had the impression they would pass easily. 1 of them completely missed the deer twice let alone keeping it in the target and the other had his own rifle, roe sack, sticks etc, with him and failed with his own rifle and the estate one!!

The 2 young lads who had never shot a full bore rifle before passed 1st go and one of them shot a nice tidy group with the estate rifle!! The guy doing the course was great on the range and talked them through everything.

You'll be ok I'm sure as the safety side of things is the same whichever gun you use and the rifles kick less the shotties normally!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I think you're spot on here. It's easy but don't take it for granted, you do need to concentrate and make sure your rifle is clean and zeroed.

I think the more experienced stalkers can suffer as the target area is not the actual normal area. You need to aim at a point directly up the centre of the front leg and halfway up the deer; on a live deer you would expect to be drawing a line up the rear of the front leg.