Thread: Updat on Jim's buck head

Updat on Jim's buck head

Hi I have just about finished the cleaning. Boiled out and only a bit of gristle still to be removed. I have weighed it. It comes in at 720gm so less the 90 I am starting the three months at 630 gms. The longest tine top to bottom is 25.5 cm the other about 23cm. The widest span is 11cm and is fairly uniform on the way up. The pearling is good. The points pretty even. Hopefully it will make bronze with an outside chance of silver. A lot depends on the dried weight.

well what i always do it boil out the head , clean and bleach dry for 24 hrs and then weigh .

i then minus -15% (most allow 10%) of the weight for moisture then after that you should get a rough weight to know if your in the medal area or not .

but remember you can have the sexiest 6 pointer in the world , but if it has no weight to it you wont make medal simple as that , the dog uglyiest head in the world will make a medal as long as it has plenty of weight .

but good luck to you , your trophy loks a belter !!!!

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I'd say it should make a medal. Very pretty head with really nice colour. Best of luck and keep us updated.
    ATB
    Paul

If your scales are correct its closer to gold than bronze.720g should dry doon to 630-40ish,minus 90 deduction should leave around 54-55 points for weight alone,and if volume decent it could be around 110 on that two alone.Bonny head what ever it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by sako751sg View Post
    If your scales are correct its closer to gold than bronze.720g should dry doon to 630-40ish,minus 90 deduction should leave around 54-55 points for weight alone,and if volume decent it could be around 110 on that two alone.Bonny head what ever it makes.
    My first impression was gold as well. But what ever it gets its a lovely head well done

Seen this head in the flesh (or without it as the case is) and the photos don't really do it justice. It is a cracker with very good pearling and colour. All the best with it Jim.

Good luck Jim , looks like a cracker of a head. I'll nip in & see it soon mate

Any time you want, vizsla. I have just done some more cleaning. Unscientific measuring puts the volume over 200 cc and current weight is 654gms. The initial weight surge loss was expected. Weight has to be 570 and cc200 plus to get gold so while knocking on the door I would say 6pointer is probably right at mid to high silver. Gold would be nice but, dream on. I cannot see it dropping out the medals. I don't think antlers shrink so hopefully the 200 plus with quite a margin for error will stay. Jim

Having just had a silver measured I would say silver at least (mine weighed 532grm full head) and similar lengths to yours, v good colour, with good corenets and pearling. It might even go low gold. Keep us posted.

D

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Weight has to be 570 and cc200 plus to get gold so while knocking on the door I would say 6pointer is probably right at mid to high silver. Gold would be nice but, dream on.
    It looks like the dreaming worked