Thread: Fly Fishing The Wye

Fly Fishing The Wye

Hi all

Off to stay in Ross-on-Wye for a few days next week & wondered if anyone has any info on fly fishing the Wye there or nearby. Staying at a small hotel that has its own river frontage.

Cheers

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Chris

Have a look on the Wye and Usk Foundation website. They have details of lots of beats that you can fish.

Cheers,

​Bob

Hi Chris, rain this last couple of days should freshen the job up as the wye has been low and out of sorts these last few weeks. The usual flies will serve you well, cascades etc.

Tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Penyard View Post
    Hi Chris, rain this last couple of days should freshen the job up as the wye has been low and out of sorts these last few weeks. The usual flies will serve you well, cascades etc.

Tight lines!
    Thanks for that Penyard, we are staying at the Wilton Court just down from Wilton bridge, do you know that stretch of the river?

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    Chris

Have a look on the Wye and Usk Foundation website. They have details of lots of beats that you can fish.

Cheers,

​Bob
    I was going to say the same thing...they have loads of water and various tickets available.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rob View Post
    Thanks for that Penyard, we are staying at the Wilton Court just down from Wilton bridge, do you know that stretch of the river?

Chris
    Hi Chris,

I drive past that stretch on my way to work every day, it is very weedy at the moment and the level does not seem to have come up much despite recent rain. I've not walked that stretch lately but from Wilton Bridge it looks like wall to wall weed but there may be runs that remain fishable further down stream so don't be too dispondent. You will also have to suffer an armada of canoes!! As has been mentioned, check out the Wye & Usk Foundation for other waters locally. More fresh water and you may well see fish as the runs have improved in recent times and it was fishing quite well until the heat wave.

Tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rob View Post
    Hi all

Off to stay in Ross-on-Wye for a few days next week & wondered if anyone has any info on fly fishing the Wye there or nearby. Staying at a small hotel that has its own river frontage.

Cheers

Chris
    I fished the Wye at Plas Gwn the weekend before last, I am new to river fly fishing so was not expecting to be very successful , I fished for two days and caught loads of small trout both on the dry and nymphs and a couple of 3lb Chub. I must admit that I was somewhat distracted by the joy of being there and missed several good takes as I admired the scenery, the Kingfishers and the Kites. All in all a fantastic couple of days and I will be back soon.

​Martin