Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool steel stalking knife

Tool steel stalking knife

Just in the final throes of this one. I must reiterate that this is 01 tool steel and NOT STAINLESS. This is not suitable for most people, but for those, who, like me clean and dry their knife with each use this can form a really interesting patina over time.

3.5mm 01 tool steel.

The bookmatched stabilised quilted maple, is mounted to the black vulcanised fibre by way of shafting epoxy and brass corby rivets, with a matching brass lanyard tube. The handle shape is the old coke bottle which is hand finished with no corners and is extremely comfortable to use for extended periods.

The thin blade is lovely and slicey and the tool steel is easily kept keen with a strop.

This will come with one of my hand made leather sheaths, left or right handed from 3.5/4mm veg tanned shoulder and a double dangler sheath.

This is available this week, with a sheath, RMSD to your door at 195.

Any questions, please fire away. Thanks for looking.

Richard

This is an 01 Kitchen knife I have used for 5 1/2 years and cleaned and wiped after use each time:

I have one of Richards knifes made of tool steel ( think it was his own personal one ) it's a great bit if kit razor sharp and really holds an edge !

Many thanks mate. Those of you who follow me on Facebook will have noticed a different price over there, so I thought I would align them and bring this down to 185.

Typo on my part earlier.

Dougster,

Out of curiosity, chemically how does the patina differ from normal oxidation? What is it that causes this change in the surface of the metal?

Other than cleaning and wiping the blade; does it require any other maintenance?

Regards,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
    Dougster,

Out of curiosity, chemically how does the patina differ from normal oxidation? What is it that causes this change in the surface of the metal?

Other than cleaning and wiping the blade; does it require any other maintenance?

Regards,

Mike
    Erm, now you've got me...

The oxidisation must happen at various levels depending upon the reaction to the chemicals affecting various areas. I have in the past covered these in ketchup overnight to develop a forced patina which can then be built upon, the same came be done with raw potato.

Other than keeping it dry and keeping it sharp - no other maintenance really.

Dougster,

My curiosity stems from the fact that i like working with carbon blades, but have in the past struggled with their maintenance. From what your suggesting its acid that forms this layer, so i will have a play with a cheap mora and see if i can build some protection into a carbon blade.

Thanks for your insight,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
    Dougster, Out of curiosity, chemically how does the patina differ from normal oxidation? What is it that causes this change in the surface of the metal? Other than cleaning and wiping the blade; does it require any other maintenance? Regards, Mike

Patina on a carbon blade is a coating of various chemical compounds such as oxides, carbonates, sulfides, or sulfates. They're formed on the surface during exposure to atmospheric elements (oxygen, rain, acid rain, carbon dioxide, sulfur-bearing compounds).

Somehow they prevent extreme corrosion under normal conditions, but they still need an oiling now and then.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

The acid leaves the pattern, the oil seems to stabilise it. I will repeat, this isn't for everyone, or even most, but for those who like it, it becomes fascinating.

Young Gun,

You can force a patina onto a carbon blade with any sort of mild acid. Leave the blade in the acid for a few hours, then rinse, dry and rub some oil on.

I got quite a nice even finish on a carbon Hultafors blade using the vinegar from a jar of pickled eggs.

cheers,

​Bob

Nice knife Dougster should go soon I reckon. For those interested tool steel is fine so long as you use the correct hygiene protocol ie if you use your knife when you get back you clean it, doesn't matter if it is stainless or carbon, just as you would clean your rifle. As regards to rusting even stainless will rust if neglected....after all its is stainless.....not rust proof. I use 01 blades a lot and stainless, both get cleaned after use , dried and oiled if not being used for a while, look after your kit and it wont let you down.