Checking Zero in the UK!

Conor1

I will be in the UK from August 7th for a week and will be based in East Sussex. On the 16th August I will leave for Austria for a few days stalking. As it has been a busy Summer, I haven`t spent much time at the range (I went on Saturday and everything seemed to be working fine) I was hoping to spend a half day at Bisley but the process sounds overly complicated and I will have to devote far more time than I would like to. I have a 308 and 300WM that I would like to check again. Is there a member on here in East Sussex that would let me shoot a dozen rounds or so at 200m? I would be happy to pay any fees, make a donation to your club etc.

Many thanks
Conor

Hello Conor. Everything at Bisley is indeed unnecessarily complicated. So complicated that the people who administrate it keep tripping over their own processes. But that's because the setup of the place is insane. Also, for your purposes, I don't believe you can use expanding ammunition anywhere but the BSRC range, and that's only 100m.

Conor
Look up Old Mill Guns - Talk to Ivor - He has a range & is used to zeroing big guns. He has a nice range of goodies to look at also. (Besides being a real genuine straight bloke!)

​Ian

Hello Conor. Everything at Bisley is indeed unnecessarily complicated. So complicated that the people who administrate it keep tripping over their own processes. But that's because the setup of the place is insane. Also, for your purposes, I don't believe you can use expanding ammunition anywhere but the BSRC range, and that's only 100m.

Not true, you can use expanding ammo on any of the outdoor ranges - it's "solid core" that you can't use, which most people don't have access to anyway!

Soft points, ballistic tips, and hollow points are all fine - it's a misunderstanding that has been spread around for reasons unknown. I spoke to two club officials recently about this as I went up to do some load development - it was made very clear that it's perfectly fine to shoot my rimfires with BT's or hollow points, or my .243 or 308 with soft points/bt's - I just wasn't allowed to use depleted uranium rounds... ;)

The 300WM can only be used with special permission as it is over the velocity limit - you have to prove it is zeroed on the zeroing range, and that you know where your round will be dropping to if you wish to shoot on the 1200m range.

You should re-check your zero when you arrive in Austria. The Altitude can make a difference.

Enjoy your time there I am heading on the 10th, can't wait.

What can I say....................but thank you very much for all the suggestions and PMs that I received. Very humbled indeed!

Many thanks
Conor

Back