Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpener...

Knife sharpener...

I think I have found a good tip for sharpening knifes in the field and the cheapest just use a chainsaw round file, sharpens your blades a treat and can also do the gut hook...

ooh no. Too coarse. Fine diamond grit for me.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I use the blade tech tool, brill bit of kit and it fits in your pocket.

Try the Lansky Quick Fix Pocket Sharpener, works really well and fits easily in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by ems bach View Post
    I use the blade tech tool, brill bit of kit and it fits in your pocket.
    I got one of these too, but have to admit I'm not getting the results I expected. Bit disapointed, to be honest.
    Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Any tips for disgruntled users, ems bach?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    DC4 if required in the field.
    Comletely agree. Fits easily into the pocket and does an excellent job!

The method I employ is to use a wet stone. I soak the stone in water first for a five minutes or so. I use the wet stone to set the correct angle on the knife and then use a steel to align the edge.

I carry a ceramic rod in the field for a quick sharpen.

Regards,
    Glendine.

Me personly thinking why would you need to sharpen your knifes in the field? Firstly your knifes should be sharp before you leave home, if your knife is starting to go blunt during the gralloc then your knife is not up to the job! This is where a good knifes made with a good steel comes into its own. Don't get me wrong not every body can afford a nice custom knife so the answer there is carry a sharp spare knife, why piss about trying to sharpen your knife in the field,

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    I got one of these too, but have to admit I'm not getting the results I expected. Bit disapointed, to be honest.
    Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Any tips for disgruntled users, ems bach?
    If you google them you'll find a lot of people saying the same thing. Throw it away is probably the best advice with these.

As for why to sharpen in the field.... I have done three deer in the larder with one knife once, from field to quartered for the farmer. I was glad of my DC4 even though I had a knife of RWL34.