cleaning bullets / projectiles / heads / whatever?

BunnyDoom

I have some soft point heads that are pretty tarnished... I realise it's a bit fairy-ish to ask but if I want to get them nice and shiny again is a sonic cleaner or tumbler viable? I'm thinking it may just damage the heads (though I realise many think that doesn't matter)?

p.s. Before the usual tirade of slagging off ensue's is there any chance someone could just post something useful and helpful?... some poor sod asked about dog-friendly ice-cream recipe's the other day and you'd think he'd asked advice on mugging granny's or something :doh:

30mins in a vibratory tumbler should shift most of whatever is on them, if it's just cosmetic discolouring/staining don't bother :) (same advice also applies to Grannies) :D

p.s. Before the usual tirade of slagging off ensue's is there any chance someone could just post something useful and helpful?... some poor sod asked about dog-friendly ice-cream recipe's the other day and you'd think he'd asked advice on mugging granny's or something :doh:

Polishing bullets? You're asking for grief!

If it's cosmetic, it really doesn't matter. I buy the 'blem' bullets from Nosler and Hornady at half price with no loss in accuracy. My 33 grain (thirty three, yes) V-Max Hornet bullets came a coppery brown with a muddy maroon tip. They got stained in the final rinse and look nasty but will shoot .66" for ten shots from my Hornet, and of those ten, seven cut each other in a ragged hole. One of the tightest groups I've fired with my Hornet was with these nasty bullets; about one hole. The truth is that the only way to make a bullet shine is to tack it into the same hole the previous one went through. How it looks in the loading block is immaterial. JMHO~Muir

Agree with Muir: as long as the grot is not too thick then no worries! I used to use UK Howitzer banded seconds that looked like Remington or Winchester 150grain SPs and shot really well provided I batch sorted them...

I have some soft point heads that are pretty tarnished... I realise it's a bit fairy-ish to ask but if I want to get them nice and shiny again is a sonic cleaner or tumbler viable? I'm thinking it may just damage the heads (though I realise many think that doesn't matter)?

I like to sit of an evening and polish the bullets on one side, just like a cricket ball in order to make them spin better. Regards JCS

Lol smart ar5es! :) yeah I know it makes no difference, I'm just the sort of person who tumbles his brass for 24 hours for no other reason than to make it shiny... in fact I even clean my rifles sometimes :eek:

I always sharpen and polish my bullets before use - because I don't want any of my quarry to die of blood poisoning :D

Back